BSA Lifeguard Application

Hey I have a quick question. I am recently certified Aquatics director from a council down in TN. However I am currently residing in in MT.

I am getting ready to hold a few BSA lifeguard courses and was wondering whom would I send the applications to, my old council or this local council? Also is there a fee that goes along with the application?

Thanks for your time and help.

I hope your EDGE certification is current! :)

As of April 1, 2012 BSA Lifeguard was upgraded to an official "Position of Responsibility."

Selection of BSA Lifeguards is now done through Troop elections at the unit level. The important thing is that the boys learn about democracy through the principle of controlled failure.

It sounds like the Council in TN did not tell you that BSA Lifeguard training was soon to be modernized and streamlined into the three hour "Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops" course. Certification as an Aquatics Director is no longer required to train waterfront leadership, but Wood Badge for the 21st Century is highly recommended.

A few Aquatics Directors have privately expressed doubts that a BSA Lifeguard can be adequately trained in only three hours, but remember that before "Leadership Development" became a Method of Scouting in 1972, Patrol Leader Training took six (6) months to complete!

Welcome to the miracle of 21st century Leadership Skills! :)

BSA Lifeguard Training in a Nutshell:

Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops is broken into three one-hour modules. The three sessions focus respectively on what a new Patrol Leader, SPL, or BSA Lifeguard must know, must be, and must do. When a Scout completes all three modules, he is qualified to wear the "Trained" patch on his swim trunks, and shirtsleeve under his badge of office.

The manual contains position-specific leadership cards that define each position in the troop, including Lifeguard.

The three one-hour modules are divided into three topics: It is organized into three one-hour modules, which can be taught individually or all in one session.

Module OneIntroduction to Leadership (Know): Conducted within a week of a Scout's acceptance of his new position, this session focuses on what a boy leader must know. The manual directs the Scoutmaster to refer to the Scoutmaster Handbook, chapter 3, "The Boy-Led Troop," chapter 4. "The Boy-Led Patrol," and chapter 5. "The Boy-Led Waterfront."

Module TwoHow to Fulfill Your Role (Be): This session on how to fulfill the role's responsibilities focuses on what a leader must be. The program includes the Scoutmaster's "vision of success," a discussion of the "Teaching EDGE" method of instruction, and an evaluation of the troop's progress.

Module ThreeWhat Is Expected of Me? (Do): This session focuses on what a leader must do. Topics include a review of the troop leader position descriptions, motivating Scouts to lead, what constitutes success in the boy's leadership role, and a coaching session with the Scoutmaster.

Forum member Reasonable Rascal may have additional information on this topic.

Yours at 300 feet,

Kudu

http://kudu.net

Good Friday is no time to be blowing an April Fool's kudu horn!

I think the council in which you'll be teaching is the one that will service the applications. Call their SE and ask them how to do this.

Wouldn't hurt to find out who taught the last round of courses at the facility you'll be using. You should find out if there were any issues that came up and see if they were resolved.

My council has a reputation for losing paperwork from courses done at summer camp! Happened to me two years ago, and I'm still trying to straighten it out.