Rumour Control

WDL Mom

Wow, so many people to agree with.

Lisa'bob's argument that this is not a good solution is one I find accurate. It's hard to see how registering boys as Boy Scouts will help strengthen the Webelos program. I'd put a bit of a different spin on why this is the case. Because Boy Scouts is a natural continuation of Webelos, I find boys quickly lose interest in the "old" Webelos activities, and focus on the "new" Boy Scout activities. If the programs were completely different, like say, swim club and horseback riding, then boys could easily want to do both. But because they are so much the same, it's hard to see how this would help. Venturing and Boy Scouting are more different, so dual registration makes more sense there.

I also agree with DenZero, who says that this only makes sense where a boy is trying to finish up Arrow of Light. That, in fact, is pretty much the only thing that would keep a boy interested in the Webelos program after they join a troop. I once had a boy who only had one requirement left for AoL, and that was the time requirement. The rest of his den crossed over. As far as I'm concerned, this would be a perfect case where dual registration would make sense. In any case where there are just a few requirements left to finish, I can see a boy wanting to be registered in both places.

And ultimately, I agree with Beavah. I like to see people trying things to improve the program. I like discussion on the forum about what works best for people. I don't think this change would help much, and it probably is 'half-cocked', but I'll presume that people are doing their best.

Oak Tree

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic