Gern, thank you for reiterating the Outdoor Code in the thread on backpacker mag. This is something that is important to me and also something we stressed with our cub pack. On the other hand, while the practice tends to be there (most of the time) in our troop, I have never in 2 years heard any scout or adult discuss or recite the code itself and I'm certain that most of our scouts would be unable to articulate the code, if asked. I am thinking of asking our SM to consider re-introducing it. When it comes to instilling values, sometimes repetition matters, or anyway, it can't hurt.

FYI.

When I was a scout and later a scout leader in my troop, all troop meetings began with a pledge of the allegiance and the recitation of the Scout Oath and Law.

As some point during this period (not sure if as an older scout or as a scout leader), knowledge of the Outdoor Code was added to the requirements for Tenderfoot. When that happened, we decided to add reciting the Outdoor Code along with the Oath & Law.

When my son joined the troop, the ritual at flags was the allegiance, the oath and the law.

Then one of our Eagle candidates was asked to recite the Outdoor Code at his EBOR. Our SM and CC were embarrassed that he could not do it. After that, it became a part of the meeting ritual. Now every scout knows it by rote. The challenge comes when we make them live it.

For as long as I can remember our Scout meetings open with the Pledge, Scout Oath and Law and the Outdoor Code. When a new SPL is elected, there is some discussion about changing the opening of the meetings, but either by tradition or because he can't think of anything different, they continue with the same opening.

Growing up in the Methodist Church allowed me to learn the doctrine by rote. We never discussed it, just said it in litany. It gave me a sense of security to have my beliefs said out loud once per week. I later questioned some of those things which didn't set well with anyone. I just wanted to know. I think that maybe others didn't understand either but questioning appeared to be denial so I came under suspicion but it was never disbelief.

I suppose that is not what this thread about but it led me to do something that I never once regretted in Scouting because it took time away from other things. As SM, I would speak to every new Scout about the meaning of the Scout Law, Oath, Motto, Slogan, and Outdoor Code. We took each part of it and went through it word by word, line by line. I wanted every Scout to understand what the ideals meant. The reason was clear. Those values held the meaning of what we were doing in Scouting and they attached themselves to all our actions. When we went astray, we could define what went wrong and how to fix it.

Later in my life, I had a job where I drove a great amount of time. I would sometimes recite the ideals and add in the OA Obligation as I drove through the countryside. I would think about the words and remember things that had happened in the past with Scouting. It is funny that we don't argue about the meaning of the ideals of Scouting or have schisms. We may say the ideals out loud, remember them by rote but the meanings are clear leaving little room for confusion.