GSUSA votes on proposal increasing membership dues to $85

RememberSchiff

On Saturday, the 900 delegates of the Girl Scouts of the USA’s National Council will vote on whether to raise dues for the first time in eight years.

The GSUSA Board has proposed raising membership dues from $25 dollars a year to $85 per scout – a hike of 240%.

“The proposals are directly tied to supporting our local councils and improving program delivery for current and future members,” a Girl Scouts of the USA, or GSUSA, spokesperson said in a statement to CNN.

Membership dues are the Girl Scout’s largest source of revenue, generating $38 million in 2023 from its nearly 2 million total members. But the organization is losing money, projecting operating losses of $5.6 million this year, so it’s looking for cash.

The Boy Scouts of America’s membership fee also rose to $85 in April, but that increase was just $5.

More details at source:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/18/business/girl-scouts-to-vote-to-raise-fees-to-usd85-from-usd25/index.html

IMHO, this has some possibilities:

1. We will see how scouting membership is impacted by a single variable - registration dues.  No pandemic, no legal/bankruptcy complications.

2. Price parity with BSA/SA might lead more girls to consider joining us. $85, should I choose GSUSA or BSA/SA?  Ooops, I guess I just added a complication to analysis in 1. :D

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Haha 1

I don't see nearly as many girls selling cookies as I used to. Sounds like GS is suffering like the BSA.

Not sure their cookie overhead is any different than that for popcorn. Honestly, the drop in membership for both organizations is a sad statement about our drop in community more than any problems with leadership.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MattR said:

I don't see nearly as many girls selling cookies as I used to. Sounds like GS is suffering like the BSA.

Not sure their cookie overhead is any different than that for popcorn. Honestly, the drop in membership for both organizations is a sad statement about our drop in community more than any problems with leadership.

One issue may be the now too-common increase in price and decrease in size.  I was very surprised, almost annoyed, last year when I realized the sleeve of cookies had fewer cookies and more air.  

6 hours ago, MattR said:

In 2019, about 2.1 million youth in BSA. In 2023, slightly less than a million. 

In 2019, about 1.7 million youth in GSUSA. In 2023 slightly more than a million. 

As of October, there are around a million girls in GSUSA and about 880,000 +/- scouts in BSA/SA. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, yknot said:

In 2019, about 2.1 million youth in BSA. In 2023, slightly less than a million. 

In 2019, about 1.7 million youth in GSUSA. In 2023 slightly more than a million. 

As of October, there are around a million girls in GSUSA and about 880,000 +/- scouts in BSA/SA. 

A falling tide grounds all boats.

5 hours ago, qwazse said:

A falling tide grounds all boats.

4-H membership has grown significantly. Pre pandemic I think they were 4 million, dropped, but are now at 6 million. YMCA youth membership is up.  Youth sports participation in traditionally tracked team or conventional individual sports is down but many non traditional sports have seen exponential growth in participation.  

Update 10/19/2024:

"After discussion with the more than 800 delegates, the National Council approved the new price of membership dues at $65 for girls. Dues will remain at $25 for the next year, then rise to $45 for the 2026 membership year and to $65 in 2027, the organization said. Adult membership dues will increase from $25 to $30 in 2026.

In 2022, GSUSA lost a trademark infringement lawsuit filed against the Boy Scouts of America, which expanded its reach in recent years to counter a decline in membership. It allows girls, openly gay boys and transgender youth to join. The change fueled concerns in the Girl Scouts that its appeal to girls would be undercut as it was forced to compete for the first time with the larger Boy Scouts for recruits."

Source:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/girl-scouts-to-increase-dues-to-65-over-two-years/ar-AA1sBiqA