How do you plan campouts?

Eloisefig

We are part of a medium sized troop, maybe 25 scouts. Our campouts average 12 people. 
The entire troop spends around 45minutes the Monday before the campout voting on/planning a menu, which to me, is ridiculous, as it’s too many cooks in the kitchen, especially when less than half the troop is going. 
     How do you all plan campouts? How far in advance do your scouts plan? Do all scouts plan, or just the ones going? Just looking for ideas to make improvements. 
thanks 

12 hours ago, curious_scouter said:

We are (now) strictly Patrols on campouts.  Cooking included.  No exception and I NEVER split patrols.  Either they just deal with the fact there's only 2 or 3 of their patrol going or the Patrol decides to team up with anther Patrol.  But it's the entire patrol teaming up.  I don't permit patrol mates to be separated.  And I usually encourage them NOT to team up and to just roll with it.

Great answer.  I've even seen it as patrol of one going it alone.  

• Upvote 3

Great answers guys.

To add to them, each patrol creates their own menu. Best is having one person in charge of it, the grubmaster. This is the patrol member who knows what everyone else likes, dislikes, allergies etc... they also instruct other members how to create the menu, compile amounts, generate shopping list, etc... When a member is ready to complete the menu planning requirements, the grubmaster lets them take the wheel. 

Do they plan during a meeting, or a separate gathering-before/after the meeting?  These “planning sessions” are taking nearly an entire meeting, and serve no purpose for the scouts that aren’t going.

How far in advance are they planning food? We meet Monday, so I feel that attendance for the campout should be finalized 2 Mondays before the campout, so that the person cooking can have their meal plan options itemized, priced, and ready to present to their patrol the Monday before campout. 

Ours is the Monday before. The time sink is having too many ppl involved in the process. At the troop meeting, the PLC has set aside some time (20 minutes) for patrol meetings. Here, the patrol plans their campout, not as a whole group, but by specific roles. The patrol leader helps each member with their specific task to plan. APL helps PL. Each role might have an assistant.

Grubmaster plans menu.

Hikemaster plans activities.

QM requisions needed gear from troop QM.

Cheermaster plans campfire.

Having a group discuss bacon or sausage for twenty minutes is a time sink.

• Upvote 1

On 9/30/2024 at 8:41 PM, curious_scouter said:

We are (now) strictly Patrols on campouts.  Cooking included.  No exception and I NEVER split patrols.  Either they just deal with the fact there's only 2 or 3 of their patrol going or the Patrol decides to team up with anther Patrol.  But it's the entire patrol teaming up.  I don't permit patrol mates to be separated.  And I usually encourage them NOT to team up and to just roll with it.

It's not perfect, but it's youth lead and Patrol method and IMO that's the way.

Amen, amen, AMEN, aaamen! AMEN! This is the patrol method and how Scouting NEEDS to be done.

• Upvote 1