BSA LIFEGUARD PROGRAM TO BE DISCONTINUED

1 hour ago, fred8033 said:

Thanks.  I've never seen that one before.  Interesting how they publish ineligible names publicly.  

https://uscenterforsafesport.org/

Almost 22,000 names.  I would support BSA having a list like this for parents to see.  Bolsters transparency. 

Although, I'm uncomfortable with them publishing the names of those with "Alleged Misconduct."  They should keep those to themselves until the defendant goes through due process.

Publishing them there makes them guilty in the court of public opinion.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, fred8033 said:

Thanks.  I've never seen that one before.  Interesting how they publish ineligible names publicly.  

I've only done the training, I never saw that part before. Very interesting and a resource the BSA should adopt. 

The training is required annually. It isn't too far off from the YPT. They cover an angle that isn't discussed as being a BSA issue - quid pro quo. I never thought about playing first string or getting game time at all would be used as leverage against a youth athlete. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

I've only done the training, I never saw that part before. Very interesting and a resource the BSA should adopt. 

The training is required annually. It isn't too far off from the YPT. They cover an angle that isn't discussed as being a BSA issue - quid pro quo. I never thought about playing first string or getting game time at all would be used as leverage against a youth athlete. 

Interesting indeed, what was the cost?  I looked at their course catalog. Imagine one YPT course good for Little League, Soccer, high school sports, and ...scouts.

https://uscenterforsafesport.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/FSS-CourseCatalog_083122_vFinal3.6.pdf

Here is the page describing their core course:

SafeSportCore.thumb.jpg.303c7c13d3df47ea7ea995530ad094f7.jpg

14 hours ago, InquisitiveScouter said:

Almost 22,000 names.  

Digging up old ugly argument ... I don't thing BSA is that different than any other youth program.  

Ineligible files had 5000 to 7000 from 1960s onward.  Many from 1970s and 1980s.

SafeSports has 22000; a few from 1990s.  Most from 2010+.  

Lots of nuances can be argued.  Awareness now versus then.  Number of youth and adults involved.  Nature of program.  Nature of crimes.  But, generally I don't think BSA is any different.  If anything, BSA was tracking it earlier and had youth protection training earlier.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Interesting indeed, what was the cost? 

Found answer.

SafeSportCoreCost.jpg.d2556317eee597cd55f71c82d125f765.jpg

Add some historical background from https://www.praesidiuminc.com/everything-need-know-safe-sport-act/

"The Protecting Young Victims from Sexual Abuse and Safe Sport Authorization Act of 2017 was created in reaction to the abuse found various youth sports organizations, including USA Gymnastics. This act will create new a standard of care that will affect youth-serving organizations across the country. The purpose of the law is to expand existing mandated reporting laws to all youth sport organizations that participate in international or interstate sporting events. This has the potential to affect not only national governing bodies like USA Gymnastics, USA Swimming, and other Olympic sports, but the law will also impact camps, public and private schools, collegiate sports, country clubs, community organizations, and sport facilities."

Edited by RememberSchiff

1 hour ago, fred8033 said:

Digging up old ugly argument ... I don't thing BSA is that different than any other youth program.  

Ineligible files had 5000 to 7000 from 1960s onward.  Many from 1970s and 1980s.

SafeSports has 22000; a few from 1990s.  Most from 2010+.  

Lots of nuances can be argued.  Awareness now versus then.  Number of youth and adults involved.  Nature of program.  Nature of crimes.  But, generally I don't think BSA is any different.  If anything, BSA was tracking it earlier and had youth protection training earlier.  

There are closer to 8,000 released files. That is not the total file count because an unknown number were removed in the 1990s in a bulk purge.  

Approximately 60 million youth are registered to play sports each year in the United States compared to the low numbers involved in scouting. 

Anecdotally, multiple victims who filed abuse claims have noted that their abusers are not listed in the released files despite having been reported to organized scouting. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, yknot said:

There are closer to 8,000 released files. That is not the total file count because an unknown number were removed in the 1990s in a bulk purge.  

Approximately 60 million youth are registered to play sports each year in the United States compared to the low numbers involved in scouting. 

Anecdotally, multiple victims who filed abuse claims have noted that their abusers are not listed in the released files despite having been reported to organized scouting. 

Lots of data qualifiers could be put in. 

- 60 million youth sports ... how many covered by the safe sports site

- Safe sports documents 220+ so far for this year.  Probably 300+ before end of the year.   300+ for 2023.  

- Most of BSA's files are when BSA had 3 million to 4 million registered. 

So, comparing the data is really hard.  On first glance, there seems to be a strong correlation though.

5 hours ago, fred8033 said:

Lots of data qualifiers could be put in. 

- 60 million youth sports ... how many covered by the safe sports site

- Safe sports documents 220+ so far for this year.  Probably 300+ before end of the year.   300+ for 2023.  

- Most of BSA's files are when BSA had 3 million to 4 million registered. 

So, comparing the data is really hard.  On first glance, there seems to be a strong correlation though.

The 22,000 are not all ineligible volunteers. It is a disciplinary database that includes a range of incidents, from the most egregious abuse to those who have been directed to complete additional training before returning to their role as either a coach, athlete, or official. Currently SafeSports is directly responsible for at least 11 million youth but throws a much wider net in that is also encompasses collegiate age athletes and beyond. 

On 9/12/2024 at 10:28 AM, fred8033 said:

Michael Johnson, our previous YP exec, noted that frequency of overnights were a key difference.  But if youth organizations utilized a central, standardized YP reporting and training, more objective comparisons could be made. There would also be a central, open database of disqualified volunteers. 

Though they are undergoing staffing and funding growing pains, I am impressed with SafeSport's transparency, for example, here is their 2022 and 2023 Annual Reports, note incident reports rose 30% from 2022 to 2023 :

https://uscenterforsafesport.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/AnnualReport_DataPage_062624.pdf

https://uscenterforsafesport.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/2023-AnnualReport_071124_v3.5.pdf

I am also impressed with their fully-engaged CEO Ju’Riese Colón, who was previously National Vice President of Child & Club Safety for the Boys & Girls Clubs of America and Executive Director of Prevention & Outreach for the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children (NCMEC).

“As a result of our work, a culture shift in sport is taking root,” Ju’Riese Colón, CEO, U.S. Center for SafeSport said. “Athletes are rejecting the notion that sexual harassment is inevitable, coaches aren’t turning a blind eye to inappropriate behavior, and parents aren’t tolerating abusive practices. Together, we are establishing a culture where people are compelled to throw open the curtains on abuse rather than sweep it under the rug.”

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20240627870384/en/U.S.-Center-for-SafeSport-Releases-2023-Annual-Report

Edited by RememberSchiff
YP exec, though he might have been a VP too?
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

13 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Michael Johnson, our previous YP exec, noted that frequency of overnights were a key difference.  But if youth organizations utilized a central, standardized YP reporting and training, more objective comparisons could be made. There would also be a central, open database of disqualified volunteers. 

I hope this can be the case, but I’m skeptical that a broader-based ineligibility list will give us better data for statistical inference.
The good news is that with greater market share represented by youth-facing programs with YP trained leaders, we should see persistent reduction in reports of abuse on independent health surveys of youth.

Edited by qwazse