BSA LIFEGUARD PROGRAM TO BE DISCONTINUED

BSA Lifeguard Certification Program Retiring
After careful consideration and evaluation, Scouting America will transition away from the BSA Lifeguard certification program effective December 31, 2024. Moving forward, we believe that partnering with well-established certifying agencies such as the American Red Cross, YMCA, StarGuard Elite, and Ellis & Associates will still allow us to offer local councils access to top-tier lifeguard training.
Individuals currently certified as BSA Lifeguards may continue to use their certification until it reaches its expiration date. Individuals who are certified as BSA Lifeguard Instructors will receive additional information on how to potentially transition to an American Red Cross Lifeguard Instructor.
If you would like to learn more about this transition in person, consider registering for the upcoming 2024 National Aquatics Conference https://www.scouting.org/.../2024-national-aquatics.../

(Posted by Mike Walton on FB Page US Scouting Service Project
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

If a national certification can be offered at camp, I’m fine with the transition.
I was originally trained in ARC guard certification, then re-upped with BSA Guard. Our local pools honored BSA guard, so calling it “self-serving” is disingenuous. Guard certification serves the community.

On the other hand, if instructors become hard to come by, fewer youth will pursue training. The nation’s waters could become more hazardous.

• Upvote 1

When I came up through the ARC system, I passed Sr Lifesaving and WSI.  The instructor/victims were very active and almost twice my size.  When I took BSA Lifeguard and became a BSA Lifeguard Counselor, I taught it the same way.  When I signed their card, there was NO doubt that they were competent.  Sadly, after that, the whole program got watered down as many other requirements in the BSA did.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, PACAN said:

@RememberSchiffi know we have background checks.  I was referring to people thinking they are YP competent because they took the Bsa’s YP course.

Have you taken PA’s course? BSA’s ain’t half bad in comparison. However, both just rattle off policy.

I wonder if a better certification would involve role-playing exercises? That is essentially what makes life guard courses worthwhile. Obviously we aren’t gonna simulate victimization with YPT, but it might be possible to simulate a few victim responses, actually make that call to authorities, walk through reporting, etc …

@qwazse  Yep I have done the PA course.  It is also used by any adult doing anything with youth including Priests and School Teachers as a condition of employment.

I agree listening to "experts"  drone on and then being "tested " with obvious questions and answers so you pass doesn't make anyone "competent"

• Upvote 1

On 9/5/2024 at 8:15 PM, RememberSchiff said:

... we should NOT be self-certifying ourselves as competent in skills where we are at risk for liability.  We only make ourselves more liable, use third party certification! ...

On 9/6/2024 at 9:41 AM, PACAN said:

Like YPT?  😉😁

I agree on this.  Even YPT should be 3rd party certification.   Serious question --> Is there a 3rd party organization that does YPT certifications?  ... If not, can BSA spin off their YPT to be an independent body that then would work with more than one youth program.  The new org could learn and improve independent of BSA.   ... IMHO, this would be a good thing.  

Edited by fred8033
  • Upvote 2

IMHO, a  YPT  certification should be nationally or at least state recognized and accepted.  If one is so YPT certified , that certification is accepted everywhere in that region.

It should be officially developed and endorsed by multiple  child protection organizations and be in common use by youth organizations (schools,  scouts, clubs, camps, employers,...) and those individual whose job puts them in contact and care with youth (police, medical personnel)

My $0.02.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 2