Our Chartering Organization President wants to be an ASM?

The president of our chartering organization has submitted an application to become an ASM.  I think it is a conflict of interest and shouldn't be approved.  Here's why:

1.  If the chartering organization president approves the adult leaders, where's the unbiased review of the application to determine if the adult is appropriate for the position?

2.  How can the SM lead the ASM if the ASM is actually in charge of the Unit by being the president of the chartering organization?

3.  The SM is already feeling pressured to accept them as an ASM because they doesn't want to cause problems.  What will happen when the president doesn't follow Scout led principles and won't feel like they need to listen to the SM?  They don't follow Scout led now.  They're also the Cubmaster for the local Pack and try to treat the Scouts like Cubs.

Is there anything in writing that says this shouldn't happen?  Wouldn't it be the same as the COR trying to become a SM or ASM?  I should also add that the president is VERY active in the committee (not a member) and acts as the COR regardless if the COR is present or not.  The COR doesn't care because they are good friends and didn't want to be the COR to begin with.  The president fired the previous COR and put their friend in the position; I can only guess to give them more control.

I've been an ASM with the troop for a couple of years now.  This SM is the best person for the job.  If this was to happen, I'm sure they would leave and then the Scouts are the ones who suffer.  Any advice, please.

If they aren’t the COR, then they can. 

It is their troop, no?

Did you ask them their plans? Why not become a committee member? If they aren’t going to work with Scouts as much as an ASM does, why not be a committee member?

It is very hard, but you could talk to them about your concerns. Nothing you say above is too bad. Tell them you have concerns that they treat scouts like cubs. Tell them they are already very active on the committee, why not formalize it? Maybe have their friend COR be a MC and they become the COR?

I don’t find these conversations easy to start, or have, but may be the best and healthy way to address. 

On 8/29/2024 at 9:11 AM, Eagledad said:

I agree with the conflict of interest. I suggest the CC ask for help from

I agree others, from outside of the unit/org, can help mediate, but in the end, it is the chartering org that will prevail in any argument. That isn't to say that reasonable people should adhere to reasonable input and advice. But, if push comes to shove, the chartering org's opinion is the only one. That doesn't mean it couldn't/wouldn't destroy the unit and be counter to anyone's desires. 

Mrjohns2, The person was on the committee.  Whey they became the CO president, they voluntarily left the committee stating a conflict of interest.  If they join the program side, become an ASM, who would hold them accountable for any wrongdoing?  Ideally, the committee and the COR would.  That's not possible when the COR is determined  the CO president.  There are no checks and balances.  In a perfect world, it wouldn't be an issue, but this is far from a perfect world and the checks and balances are needed.

As far as having a frank conversation with them, the last COR tried to confront them.  They were fired and a friend was put in that position.  I was hoping there was something in writing saying it wasn't appropriate because then I would have something to back me up.

WA<<IA<nakwsu, the CO is the Ruritans.  The president is not a committee member.  They were, but quit when they became the CO president.  However, since the committee meetings are open to parents, they come to the meetings.  And, since they are there, they quite often speak for the CO instead of letting the COR do it.

I may be in the minority, but I think this is a fine idea. They want to get involved and be hands on.  Most COs don't even have an active COR.

You will need to have a conversation with the CO President so that they make sure they don't undermine anyone.  

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I see what you are concerned with but it's not an issue if the unit executive wants to be an ASM. It's not even an issue that the UE acts like the COR, he's the CORs supervisor; it's micromanagement but ultimately as the UE he has all of the authority of the COR already.

• Upvote 1