Scouts First Anonymous Reporting

6 hours ago, jcousino said:

Again i ask how does this affect states were scouter are legal required reporter?

Does BSA report any issue dealing with child  abuse to local law enforcement or are the in fact hidden possible child  abuse ?( to maybe protect their name again. 

i question BSA  ability  to filter where they  have an involved risk? 

Fr. john Cousino

I don't think it will change adult reporting in states where mandated but ideally it should make things better for youth. It sounds like they will have a way to report incidents anonymously and directly to a third party. Right now the only place the kids have to report anonymously or outside their units is in social media, and that's not good or really helpful, especially in a crisis situation. Real Response is a reputable concern that serves some high profile organizations so it's hard to imagine they would allow BSA/SA to subvert investigations or wouldn't ensure follow up, resolution, and reporting.  

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, yknot said:

... Real Response is a reputable concern that serves some high profile organizations so it's hard to imagine they would allow BSA/SA to subvert investigations or wouldn't ensure follow up, resolution, and reporting.  

As I understand, RealResponse (RR) is an encrypted communications conduit between anonymous reporters and a customer (USA Fencing, USA Gymnastics, NFL, colleges,...,BSA/SA).  There appears to be custom data tools on the customer end - data logging (time line), data organization/analysis, dispatch, automated responses/response bot ("Could you provide more information?"), etc. I doubt RealResponse would have access to customer data. I question RR claim that this is "real-time" as it is up to customer whether they staff 24x7.  It is not a Hot-Line?

I have read positive reviews by customers but I have not found any reviews on the effectiveness from anonymous student/athlete/employee reporters or mention of any tracking tools on their end. What is the reporter's experience? I found this video and it appears a reporter would just have a text message history (1:10/1:54)

Anyway if RR proves effective in "communicating safety concerns", perhaps it can be expanded to communicate other concerns with National.:unsure:

Edited by RememberSchiff

7 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

As I understand, RealResponse (RR) is an encrypted communications conduit between anonymous reporters and a customer (USA Fencing, USA Gymnastics, NFL, colleges,...,BSA/SA).  There appears to be custom data tools on the customer end - data logging (time line), data organization/analysis, dispatch, automated responses/response bot ("Could you provide more information?"), etc. I doubt RealResponse would have access to customer data. I question RR claim that this is "real-time" as it is up to customer whether they staff 24x7.  It is not a Hot-Line?

I have read positive reviews by customers but I have not found any reviews on the effectiveness from anonymous student/athlete/employee reporters or mention of any tracking tools on their end. What is the reporter's experience? I found this video and it appears a reporter would just have a text message history (1:10/1:54)

Anyway if RR proves effective in "communicating safety concerns", perhaps it can be expanded to communicate other concerns with National.:unsure:

I don't specifically know RealReponse but I know someone who developed a system like it and has been utilized in academic settings. If it's similar certain responses will trigger automatic third party involvement, usually direct to law enforcement and an assigned individual in the organization.  RealResponse doesn't see it but someone in law enforcement does.  It can be customized to some degree but the companies that offer these resources do not want people posting online that they reported an incident using something like RealResponse and nothing happened. 

I have noted recently that there seem, or so it seems to me anyway, a number of groups coming out with YP type things along similar lines as Scouts America.  And, if my memory serves, even before the bankruptcy and so on, BSA (then) was recognized as a leader in YP developments.  It is sad that it took all this mess to make the larger society sit up and take notice.  Still a huge problem in our society though from what I read.  Slow progress.  Reality of course shows that ever step forward will be met with new ways around the barriers.  Constant attention to following the YP rules is our only recourse.  And that goes for society at large as well.  

Posted (edited)

Some digging on RealResponse website regarding Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and some random, pre-coffee thoughts,

Source  https://www.realresponse.com/terms-of-use/

ELIGIBILITY TO USE REALRESPONSE

To access or use RealResponse, you must be 14 years or older and have the requisite power and authority to enter into these Terms. You may not access or use RealResponse if you are a competitor of ours or if we have previously banned you from RealResponse or closed your account. For Visitors or Members that are schools, colleges, academic institutions, or athletic teams or organizations (“Institutional Users”), RealResponse is for your use in accordance with your written license agreement with us.  

YOUR REALRESPONSE ACCOUNT

In order to become a Member, we require you to register an account (“Account”) by setting up a Member name and password. Other registration requirements (such as the requirement to submit information including, but not limited to: location, age, alma mater, favorite collegiate athletic teams) may also apply. You are entirely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password. You agree not to use the account or password of another Member at any time....

Source: https://www.realresponse.com/privacy-policy/

10. CHILDREN

Anyone under 14 years of age is expressly prohibited from using RealResponse or providing any personal information. If you become aware that anyone under 14 years of age has provided us with personal information without parental consent, please contact us at info@RealResponse.com. If we become aware that a minor under 14 has provided us with personal information without parental consent, we will remove such information and terminate the account.

Will RealResponse integrate into the existing 1-844-Scouts1 hot inline? The BSA/SA response via RealResponse is the same as 1-844-Scouts hotline, RealResponse adds anonymity?

So far, I have not found middle/high school or other youth organizations (under 18) which are using RealResponse.

Stating the obvious, a detailed video demo (not a 45sec marketing blip) explaining creating account, sending text, response, and resolution would be helpful.

A lot of questions.

Another $0.02

Edited by RememberSchiff

2 hours ago, RememberSchiff said:

Some digging on RealResponse website regarding Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and some random, pre-coffee thoughts,

Source  https://www.realresponse.com/terms-of-use/

ELIGIBILITY TO USE REALRESPONSE

To access or use RealResponse, you must be 14 years or older and have the requisite power and authority to enter into these Terms. You may not access or use RealResponse if you are a competitor of ours or if we have previously banned you from RealResponse or closed your account. For Visitors or Members that are schools, colleges, academic institutions, or athletic teams or organizations (“Institutional Users”), RealResponse is for your use in accordance with your written license agreement with us.  

YOUR REALRESPONSE ACCOUNT

In order to become a Member, we require you to register an account (“Account”) by setting up a Member name and password. Other registration requirements (such as the requirement to submit information including, but not limited to: location, age, alma mater, favorite collegiate athletic teams) may also apply. You are entirely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password. You agree not to use the account or password of another Member at any time....

Source: https://www.realresponse.com/privacy-policy/

10. CHILDREN

Anyone under 14 years of age is expressly prohibited from using RealResponse or providing any personal information. If you become aware that anyone under 14 years of age has provided us with personal information without parental consent, please contact us at info@RealResponse.com. If we become aware that a minor under 14 has provided us with personal information without parental consent, we will remove such information and terminate the account.

Will RealResponse integrate into the existing 1-844-Scouts1 hot inline? The BSA/SA response via RealResponse is the same as 1-844-Scouts hotline, RealResponse adds anonymity?

So far, I have not found middle/high school or other youth organizations (under 18) which are using RealResponse.

Stating the obvious, a detailed video demo (not a 45sec marketing blip) explaining creating account, sending text, response, and resolution would be helpful.

A lot of questions.

Another $0.02

That is limiting if it is only for 14 and up. The system I'm most familiar with is used from middle school ages on up. 

• 1 month later...

Recently, National hosted a Safeguarding Youth Symposium in Las Vegas.

Both David Chadwick, CEO and Founder of RealResponse and Ju'Riese Coln CEO of U.S. Center for SafeSport spoke among others (see above link).

Recall @mrjohns2 informed us of SafeSport in the wandering topic BSA Lifeguard Program To Be Discontinued.

I do not know if there are online recordings or transcripts of their presentations.

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Related, but to be  facilitated by a local council...

Mid-Iowa Council Youth Safety Summit Nov 9, 2024 in Des Moines, IA 

Glen Pounder will lead panel discussion which includes Mary Wangerin from National's Special Needs Committee.

Mary Wangerin co-chaired the Northern Star Special Needs and Disabilities Committee and has been very involved in neuro-diversity training for the BSA. She co-authored with Roger Tate the BSA Inclusion Toolbox for Special Needs and Disabilities. She has  been a production editor of Abilities Digest and website  AbleScouts.org

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34059(24)_WB-Inclusion-Toolbox.pdf

Unknown if this Youth Safety Summit will be streamed or recorded. 

Source:

https://scoutingiowa.org/safetysummit/

Content and Schedule:

https://scoutingiowa.org/wp-content/uploads/2024/10/Youth-Safety-Summit-At-a-Glance-UPDATED.pdf