Lifeguard training, certification, shortages

Back in the day,  I earned Red Cross Swimmer, Junior Lifeguard, and Senior Lifeguard certification. These courses were taught mornings at my town pool by volunteer Red Cross Aquatic Instructors. As I recall, the total cost was $10 or $20 to cover book and card. The courses filled quickly and were physically demanding in endurance and stroke execution. My Red Cross instructor was also a Swimming and Lifeguard MBC - so WINNING. The following two summers, I would work as a lifeguard at the same town pool and help teach those courses.

I never registered for BSA Lifeguard at our local camp, perhaps if I had been a waterfront CIT? I will say, it is easier to find a submerged ten pound weight in a town pool than a "cedar-water" lake in Jersey.

Today, it appears this level Red Cross training and certification is outsourced to $$$ for-profit schools. Unsure but I think the Y is cheaper, at least for members.  I fume when I hear of the expense to teach basic life-saving skills: first aid, CPR, swimming,...

That said, Scout Salute to Maine Masonic Charitable Foundation which donated $20,000 to Camp Roosevelt "to make improvements and allow their lifeguard staff to get crucial training.

The waterfront program teaches kids water safety and fun through swimming, boating, and paddleboarding.

Camp organizers say with the help of donations kids get to learn skills and experience nature at a more affordable cost."

Source:

https://www.wabi.tv/2024/07/13/maine-foundation-makes-donation-helps-boy-scouts-make-splash-camp-roosevelt/

Edited by RememberSchiff
spelling
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2024 at 9:43 AM, RememberSchiff said:

Today, it appears this level Red Cross training and certification is outsourced to $$$ for-profit schools. Unsure but I think the Y is cheaper, at least for members.  I fume when I hear of the expense to teach basic life-saving skills: first aid, CPR, swimming,...

And then there are BSA volunteers.

Scoutmaster Maegen Fleck's "love of swimming is not limited to her swimmers; she also ensures that all her scouts are water-safe. When we say all her scouts, we mean ALL SCOUTS. Every summer, Maegen conducts the BSA Swim Test, which is open to all Scouts to ensure they can swim. Occasionally, a timid Scout might need to be more proficient, and Maegen offers these Scouts, free of charge, to learn how to swim at the local public pool. She has taught more than 20 Scouts to swim over the past two years. She has also taught the Swimming and Lifesaving Merit Badges to over 30 Scouts over the last two summers."

More at source:

https://readthereporter.com/from-scouts-to-olympians-she-helps-kids-be-safe-in-the-water/

• Upvote 2