Reminder: Heat Related Emergencies

"Again, the best way to prepare for heat-related illnesses is to prevent the illness."

I remember back in the day, wearing a cold-water soaked, full-size necker.*

I do worry that global warming with more frequent, severe storms and heat waves will cause the extinction of summer camp. :unsure:

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/safety-moments/heat-related-illness/

*Note: Though hard to find on the trail, wrist dipping in a cooler with ice water mix also offers relief too.

Edited by RememberSchiff

As a retired Occupational Safety and Health professional, I think the biggest factor is not global warming, but the lack of acclimatization of people, especially the youth.  People who routinely work and play outdoors develop a physiological tolerance to heat, and not much of that happens anymore.  Most of us arrive at Camp having just emerged from cool environments of home, office, cars, etc.  Back in the 1900s when my kids were young scouts, we had a house rule that the AC didn't get turned on in the house, until we returned from Summer Camp.  Up until camp, usually the week after 4th of July, we had the windows open and worked and played outside as much as possible to get "acclimated" to the heat. I worked in a shipyard, so had to be out on the ships and shops, not soaking up the AC in the office. I remember one week when the temp topped 100 every day and the low at night was around 90, with 80-90% humidity...in coastal Virginia.  We survived by maximizing pool time and eating lightly and hydrating.  No AC in the dining hall, only in the trading post and Admin building.  Good times.

• Upvote 3

Yep, it is the acclimating that is important.  And that always included my telling the members, adult and kids, that the swim check was NOT a race, and they could wait a day if need.  We went from sea level, literally, to a mile hight or more most years.  Between the hot, dry atmosphere and unheated pool, or other water, it could zap you.  As I got older, I always did my check the following day, both because of the change, but also my trying to keep up with the routines.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

And now I do not go to camp as my body does not like it much.  I miss it though, but need to be smart.  They do not need me having another major health issue while there.  Right now, we do not even have a local camp anyway, though the younger leaders are taking them to a unit week not too far away.  As one local leader says regularly after posting photos; "get 'em out there".

• Like 1
On 7/10/2024 at 5:37 AM, RememberSchiff said:

"Again, the best way to prepare for heat-related illnesses is to prevent the illness."

I remember back in the day, wearing a cold-water soaked, full-size necker.*

I do worry that global warming with more frequent, severe storms and heat waves will cause the extinction of summer camp. :unsure:

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/safety-moments/heat-related-illness/

*Note: Though hard to find on the trail, wrist dipping in a cooler with ice water mix also offers relief too.

I think better relief is a wet, cotton t-shirt. Or a wet bandana wrapped around your head or neck. We got some fantastic neck wrap things at a volunteer thing. They weren't cotton but they were wonderful.

I guess this only works if the humidity is low but that's where I live.

I suppose this reminder may be needed, though if we Are Prepared, it shoul fnot be.  As the medic said each day at meal assemblies; "Drink water; Don't Puke!"  Do remember that pop of any kind is not good for hydration.  

Also, encourage neck cooling wraps and be sure hats are worn.  Heat stroke is often the result of an uncovered hear, and your brain frying.  Of course chap stick and sun blocks of some kind, along with wicking shirt with long sleeves in many cases.  Sun glasses are good, though they easily get lost, even with adults.  Insect barriers can be useful.  Some people have laughed, but when I went to camp I always took garlic pills morning and night and kept dryer sheets in the top of my hat and in pockets of shirts.  It helped dramatically.  Some staff copied me and told me it helped them as well.  

Edited by skeptic
2 hours ago, MattR said:

Or a wet bandana wrapped around your head or neck.

1 hour ago, skeptic said:

Also, encourage neck cooling wraps

In my reading of WWII materials/research, I recall that studies were done to determine WHY so many fighter pilots died after successfully getting out of their planes and safely into the English Channel.

Heat loss-through the back of the neck and base of the skull. Life preservers were redesigned to elevate the neck and skull from the cold waters of the English Channel. Huge life-saving improvement.

So, yes, cool one's neck and entire head if can be done.

Soak your hat-let it evaporate.

Evaporation is what cools.  High humidity limits evaporation, and limits cooling.  Breeze/air movement increases evaporation.