Bear Grylls ending his role as UK Chief Scout

6/15/2024: A message from Bear Grylls, UK Chief Scout

"To all my friends and family in Scouts,

This September will mark the end of my time as Chief Scout after three 5 year terms as Chief and a total of 15 years in the role.

Being Chief Scout has been the greatest honour of my life. The kindness and commitment of our young people and volunteers is incredible. 

And I’m so proud that since 2009 when I joined, over 2 million people have been through Scouts in the UK. Together we accomplished everything we set out to do – grow our movement and help millions of young people gain skills for life and access to adventure and the outdoors but like every volunteer in our movement, our roles evolve and nothing stays the same forever. 

I will of course continue as Chief Ambassador of World Scouting, helping support the global movement of some 65 million international scouts."

Bear Grylls

Chief Scout

Source:

https://www.scouts.org.uk/news/2024/june/a-message-from-bear-grylls-uk-chief-scout

• Thanks 3

Think of how many scouts knew nobody else. Add to that that the scouts knew who the chief scout was and that's an impressive tenure.

I wish him the best, and that the BSA could find such a person

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, mrjohns2 said:

I’d like Jocko Willink. He would be awesome. Or maybe that is just me. Mr Beast? 🙂

Honestly, most of you all who post here regularly would make great CSE’s — for the scout-facing end of things, at least. But, the boardroom negotiations really needs to find the right balance. There is clearly a lot of pressure to respond to every public crisis in the country with a “we’ll use scouting to fix that” message. We need someone with the brutal honesty to say something like “with the rollout of Citizenship in the Society MB, less than 5% of our youth members will be exposed to DEI principles”.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, qwazse said:

Honestly, most of you all who post here regularly would make great CSE’s

And where, here on this forum, is the voice (spokesperson) of National???

From Admiral Halsey: "The world wants to know.

@qwazse, I beg to differ. I would not make a good cse.

I'm not sure how much emphasis UK scouts puts on school work type advancement or King's scout vs fun and adventure, but Grylls certainly belonged to the later.

On 6/17/2024 at 8:34 PM, mrjohns2 said:

I’d like Jocko Willink. He would be awesome. Or maybe that is just me. Mr Beast? 🙂

I had never heard of him before your post so I googled him. While some people focus on his being super competitive, sucking up the pain, etc, what he writes seems a lot more balanced. Eg: competition is good but too much will ruin your life.

Face it, Grylls used to hollow out a yak and sleep in it to stay warm.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...