New Cub Scout requirements are up - denner?

Armymutt

40 minutes ago, mrjohns2 said:

They can? Each rank now has a knife safety adventure. 

Yes, and they are all electives.  There is no requirement to do it, unlike the previous version of the Bear rank.  

19 hours ago, Armymutt said:

Yes, and they are all electives.  There is no requirement to do it, unlike the previous version of the Bear rank.  

Thank you for pointing that out. It caused me to go look and confirm. Yes. 😞

• Sad 1

My district held its annual Fall Cub Day Camp yesterday. We're fortunate to have a great group of volunteers that put this event together every year. Best I can tell, it's staffed mostly by older adults whose children have long since aged out of the program and whose ties to local units have dissolved. We're also fortunate to have a DE that was an Eagle Scout in this same district and who makes everyone feel like the most important volunteer in the council, even though he himself is the one working long, odd hours for what I'm sure amounts to ~$15/hour. 

The Fall day camp is a great way to get Cubs outside before the crummy winter weather in our region limits our options. I was even able to piggy-back our monthly Wolf Den meeting onto the event and complete an Orienteering Adventure. The only downside: several activity stations were closed on short notice due to what our DE cited as "recent changes to the national guidelines for the operations of range and target activities." I'm not too familiar with the G2SS, but we were unable to have archery, slingshots, or paper rockets ~ all of which had been offered in previous years and were popular among Cubs and parents.

This will hardly be a surprise to many forum members, but it feels like the national organization is making Scouting marginally safer at great expense to the program. Honestly, I was more concerned about someone catching a hook in the eye at the fishing station yesterday than I would have been about launching a homemade paper rocket using an air compressor operated by an adult.

• Like 1