NOAC 2024

Mrjeff

• 8 months later...

04/09/2024:

NOAC 2024 Program Registration Guide released. "This guide provides all NOAC attendees with a comprehensive list of program offerings at NOAC 2024.

Activity preferences will become available on April 22 and extend to May 17..."

More at source:

https://oa-bsa.org/article/noac-program-registration-guide-here

• 3 months later...

7/28/2024: Starts Monday

• 6,000 participants
  • expected revenue to the University of Colorado $2.9 million, largest conference at CU in 19 years.
  • 6,000 campus beds, 500 hotel rooms and 170 campus event spaces.
  • The dining halls are expected to serve around 100,000 meals.
  • “We (Colorado University) have a unique opportunity as a conference operation to recruit students,” Daniel Dykstra, director of CU Boulder Conference Services, said. “We’re gonna have 4,500 honor students on this campus the last week in July.”
  • No word yet if CU football coach Deion Sanders will stop in.
  • "Conference participants will attend training and presentations on scouting and leadership, recreation and sporting activities, special events, speakers, banquets and evening shows."

Sources:

https://www.dailycamera.com/2024/07/27/cu-boulder-to-host-its-largest-conference-in-nearly-20-years/

https://www.colorado.edu/today/2024/07/14/campus-welcome-largest-conference-19-years

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, qwazse said:

They aren’t making that figure with registration fees.

Well, $625 is the national fee to attend. 6000 into $2.8M is $483. So, could be pretty close, no? I know there is a lot more to the cost of putting on NOAC than housing and food, but maybe $400 goes to housing and food?

On 7/28/2024 at 6:28 PM, mrjohns2 said:

Well, $625 is the national fee to attend. 6000 into $2.8M is $483. So, could be pretty close, no? I know there is a lot more to the cost of putting on NOAC than housing and food, but maybe $400 goes to housing and food?

Maybe for a campus that sits dormant for the summer, the ability to provide a week of housing and food (and perhaps local transportation) is a boost.

• Upvote 1

While I am happy many seem to enjoy NOAC, I have never seen it as more than a fundraiser, especially for many councils.  The ridiculous patches and over the to hype is just not what I once felt the Order stood for.  But I am old and could never afford such luxuries when I was younger.  But, some that have attended seem to have enjoyed the opportunity.  Sadly, I seldom found improvements locally on their return.  They still read ceremonies and were seldom proactive is camping service.  My new middle name is "grouch".

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, skeptic said:

Sadly, I seldom found improvements locally on their return.  They still read ceremonies and were seldom proactive is camping service.  My new middle name is "grouch".

I'm with ya, Brother.

@skepticI don’t consider myself much of a grouch, but I agree with your sentiment. I was very active in OA during my youth 1990-1995 time frame. I attended 2 NOACs. I felt like training was / could be a big focus. I went in 2022 with my daughter and staffed training. The horrible communication and organization drove me nuts.  I felt like training was a side thought. The rest was looking for a reason to have a big arena show as a rally. My daughter took nothing back and really isn’t interested in going to another NOAC. Take a look at the new mission / vision for the OA. Camping has been removed and it seems to imply they want to open NLS and NOAC to non- members. 😞

• Thanks 1

Sadly, I fear the over the top patch circus has taken over much of the focus.  By getting more involved, the exchange and "selling" of patches gains more involvement, but the focus is not on Scouting, only one up and frankly, what profit can we make.  Cynic and skeptic both are ingrained in me I guess.  Trying to focus on the real Scouting ideals can get frustrating so often.  On the other hand, I saw a lot of real Scouting comradeship at the jambo over the years, especially when properly overseen to keep the poorer players under control.  

On 8/1/2024 at 10:07 AM, mrjohns2 said:

@skepticI don’t consider myself much of a grouch, but I agree with your sentiment. I was very active in OA during my youth 1990-1995 time frame. I attended 2 NOACs. I felt like training was / could be a big focus. I went in 2022 with my daughter and staffed training. The horrible communication and organization drove me nuts.  I felt like training was a side thought. The rest was looking for a reason to have a big arena show as a rally. My daughter took nothing back and really isn’t interested in going to another NOAC. Take a look at the new mission / vision for the OA. Camping has been removed and it seems to imply they want to open NLS and NOAC to non- members. 😞

I think you hit the nail on the head solidly. What value does OA provide to scouts in todays day and age? 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

The OA has been encouraged at the national level, to be reduced to a shadow of what it was intended to be.  The customs and traditions have been gutted in some lodges and has taken the stand that " if you show up you get a trophy. "  The mystery and prestige of membership has become reduced to just being another scouting event.  In my opinion this is a direct result of " the National Committee ", whoever they are, trying to interfere with the daily operations of the local lodges.  It's about time that they realise that every lodge is unique and what works in Seattle, Washington may not work in Alabama.  If one lodge is having difficulty using Native American dress and ceremony due to complaints from their local tribe DOES NOT mean that every other lodge is having the same issues.  Local unit leaders shouldn't encourage their troops to elect someone just because it's their turn.  Rather, the Scouts who want to become OA members should be the ones that are elected.  But as for the original point, the OA provides an avenue for Scouts who are tired of weekly meetings and monthly camping trips, to continue their Scouting activities.  In addition and as far as our lodge goes, the elected youth leadership really make the decisions, deal with conflict and manage activities.  I know that many Scouting units claim that their units are run by the youth as long as they agree and conform to the desires and direction provided by the adult leadership.  Havinb said this, if the "National   Committee would mind their own business and concentrate on organizing NOAC, it could be a far more rewarding and enjoyable experience.  Again, this is my opinion.

I have the 1992 OA Handbook and a modern one with no date.  In 1992, the Purpose of the Order was "To recognize those campers - Scouts and Scouters - who best exemplify the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives and by such recognition cause other campers to conduct themselves in such manner as to warrant recognition.  To develop and maintain camping traditions and spirit.  To promote Scout camping, which reaches its greatest effectiveness as a part of the unit's camping program...  To crystallize the Scout habit of helpfulness into a life purpose of leadership in cheerful service to others."

Today: "Recognize those who best exemplify the Scout Oath and Law in their daily lives and by such recognition cause others to conduct themselves in such manner as to warrant recognition.  Promote camping, responsible outdoor adventure, and environmental stewardship as essential components of every Scout's experience, in the unit, year-round, and in summer camp.  Develop leaders with the willingness, character, spirit, and ability to advance the activities of their units, our Brotherhood, Scouting, and ultimately our nation.  Crystallize the Scout habit of helpfulness into a life purpose of leadership in cheerful service to others."

Seems like camping has been severely downgraded in importance and focus for the Order.  I've yet to learn how decreasing the number of camping nights by 20% makes one a better candidate for the Order.