Mental Health: Prepared to Care

On 8/1/2023 at 4:49 PM, 5thGenTexan said:

Personally, I dont really care about a person's uhhh affiliation...  if that is the right word. People are who they are. I make my judgements based on one's character.  I will fight for them though when others decide to cause harm because of who they are. 

I agree. Thank you.

(I really thought my post would ignite a firestorm considering how divisive the topic is in the national arena. Comforted that it has not. They are just children.  I don't have the answers, but they need emotional support.)

On 8/1/2023 at 5:43 PM, AwakeEnergyScouter said:

Of course that was all true, but there wasn't much to respond to in terms of how to right the wrong exactly. Of course it has to be righted, for the reasons you articulated, but the question is how to deal with the situation skillfully so that the right thing really happens. (Bully stops bullying, victim feels welcomed and supported by the whole group.) 

What response were you expecting?

Thanks for your reply.

I thought there might be a flurry of objection to my compassionate view of things.  I don't have the training or answers either, but there has been so much bashing of those least able to defend themselves.

5 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

I thought there might be a flurry of objection to my compassionate view of things.  I don't have the training or answers either, but there has been so much bashing of those least able to defend themselves.

😳😱😞

May all beings enjoy happiness and the root of happiness

May they be free from suffering and the root of suffering

May they not be separated from the happiness devoid of suffering

May the dwell in the great equanimity free from passion, aggression, and ignorance 

Edited by AwakeEnergyScouter
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

The National Council for Mental Wellbeing Mental Health First Aid course 

https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/take-a-course/what-you-learn/

is being offered at the 2023 National Outdoor Conference (Philmont) this weekend.

"Mental Health First Aid is a course that teaches you how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders. The training gives you the skills you need to reach out and provide initial help and support to someone who may be developing a mental health or substance use problem or experiencing a crisis. For details on this course, click here to visit the Mental Health First Aid training webpage. Any adult who support youth and other adults in Scouting should plan to attend. Note there is an additional $100 certification fee plus the preconference fee. "

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

September 24, 2024

Facilitating a Suicide Prevention Session A Guide for Scoutmasters and Others

Suicide looms as a growing problem for youth and their families. Depression, suicidal thoughts, and suicide can be sensitive and difficult topics to speak about openly, but studies show acknowledging and talking about suicide may reduce suicidal ideation. Help is available in many forms for those struggling with mental health. This guide has been prepared to help leaders facilitate a suicide prevention session at a troop meeting. Please read the entire document before taking any further action.

In addition to this guide, please download the ten-minute video found at this link.  VIEW HERE

Before conducting the session, we recommend the following.

1. Discuss with the troop committee the plan to facilitate this session at a troop meeting. Decide with the troop committee if parents will be encouraged to attend the troop meeting with their Scout. Attendance by any Scout is optional and is not tied in any way to advancement.
  2. Alert all parents or guardians when the session will occur so they may decide whether their Scout will participate. The content has been professionally assessed as appropriate for Scouts thirteen years of age and older; however, for Scouts BSA youth younger than thirteen, parents or guardians should review the materials in advance to decide if their Scout should participate.
  3. If you are not comfortable conducting the session, consider contacting a local community expert to help, like a child psychologist, your local health department, a school social worker, or another mental health professional.
  4. Regardless of whether you or someone else conducts the session, let all Scouts know in advance that the troop will be talking about depression, suicidal thoughts and suicide and it’s their choice whether they want to attend. Let them know ahead of time they don’t have to share anything they’re not comfortable with sharing.
  5. Whoever is delivering the session should watch the video and read this guide thoroughly beforehand to become comfortable with the material. Seek additional guidance from a professional if you have questions.
  6. Deliver the session. Encourage questions and open discussion. If Scouts have questions but you’re unsure how to answer them, tell them you don’t know, but will find out! In the event a Scout shares suicidal thoughts, be prepared to act. When unsure what to do next, make sure the Scout is safely being supervised by adults and contact the National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline at 988 for guidance. Remember to also contact your local Scout executive as soon as safe to do so.

Additional Resources:

https://988lifeline.org/ The 988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline provides free and confidential emotional support to people in suicidal crisis or emotional distress 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, across the United States. Their website also contains educational materials.

https://www.nami.org/ National Alliance on Mental Illness is an organization that raises awareness, provides support and education on mental illness.

https://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/ Mental Health First Aid is an evidence-based, early intervention course that teaches participants about mental health and substance use challenges. They provide courses for youth and adults.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KmVZwfhbcA Troop Talk Live episode on facilitating a suicide prevention session.

Yours in Scouting,

Glen Pounder
SVP & Chief Safeguarding Officer

source:

https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/training/Suicide Prevention Discussion Guide FINAL.pdf

"...

3. If you are not comfortable conducting the session, consider contacting a local community expert to help, like a child psychologist, your local health department, a school social worker, or another mental health professional.

"

Our local schools here host multiple sessions through the school year - during school, after school, large groups, small groups, with parents, without parents. Attendance at two sessions is mandatory for students. Usually there are 3 to 5 seasoned professionals from various fields guiding the very interactive session discussion. On the surface, these sessions appear to be just informative but they are more trust building - there are people in the community who care and we here are are just some of them.  

Our troop committee is comfortable , nah gratefully enthusiastic, with those outside professionals conducting these sessions and teaching our kids and us laypersons how to recognize warning signs,  successfully intervene, and find help.

My $0.02,

• 4 weeks later...

Building confidence to overcome anxiety SAVEs another ...

Nine-year-old James, who struggles with anxiety, says his recent training in Boy Scouts allowed him to overcome his fear in the moment, call 911, and save his mother's life.

“I wanted to join because we have been camping and fishing and doing a bunch of cart racing stuff, and it's a lot of stuff that I like.”

After quitting Scouts several times, James decided to come back, and it was at the right time when he learned a life-saving technique just weeks before he would use it.

“We practiced calling 911, and they would give us scenarios, and we would kind of say what we would do if that actually happened. Then, a couple of weeks later, my mom had the allergic reaction, so I kind of knew what to do.”

And he did.  Both James and his Mom are ok. 

Scout salute,

More at source:

https://www.cnycentral.com/news/local/nine-year-old-overcomes-anxiety-to-save-mothers-life-with-skills-learned-in-cub-scouts

Edited by RememberSchiff
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1