National Commishioner

blw2

I had the opportunity to trade a joke or two with Tico Perez over the weekend, and shake his hand while we were both waiting in line for coffee.

Not a meaningful discussion, or even a discussion at all really, but he seems like a nice guy.

Later, I was trying to explain to my son, who was with me at the time, who the guy was.... and I realize I don't really know myself.

I know what  Unit Commissioner does (at least in theory, I've only met one once...)

But what is Mr Perez's job?

The National Commissioner is a member of the executive board of the National Council. The position was eliminated and then re-established in 1990.

The National Commissioner is often a spokesman for or representative of B..S.A.

He is the titular head of the National Commissioner Support Staff.  

At all levels of the organization, there are Commissioners available to support the delivery of a quality program experience through Units to the youth they serve. The job of the National, Regional, and Area Commissioners is to provide direct support to Council Commissioners and increase in their understanding and delivery of service to Units.

The National Commissioner is an officer of the National Council and a member of the National Executive Board, whose duties are set forth in the bylaws of the National Council.

He/she provides leadership to all Regional Commissioners in the areas of membership, Unit Charter renewal, and training in support of Commissioner Service.

The job of the National Commissioner is to serve as the Chief Morale Officer of the Program.

The National Commissioner shall:

ï‚· Serve as a member of the National Key 3.  

ï‚· Work closely with all Regional Commissioners in providing quality Commissioner Service throughout the country in support of local Councils.

ï‚· Supervise the activities of Commissioner Service, give leadership to Regional Commissioners, and preside at any meetings of the Regional Commissioners.

ï‚· Support the efforts to recruit Commissioners at all levels of the organization in support of local Councils.

ï‚· Encourage communications between Regional, Area, and Council Commissioners to ensure that all Councils provide opportunities for immediate Commissioner orientation, frequent basic training, and         monthly learning experiences for all Commissioners.

ï‚· Support Councils in improving Unit to Commissioner ratios, monthly Unit visits, retention of youth and Units, and progress towards achieving Quality Awards.

ï‚· Maintain the standards of the Boy Scouts of America and uphold all National policies.

ï‚· Provide direction and support to Regional Commissioners working with local Councils especially related to the membership validation process and Unit Charter Renewal.

ï‚· Encourage the conduct and tracking of Unit visits, counseling support related to how to handle particular National situations, recruit and train a full staff of Regional and Area Commissioners, and support     the annual commitment and achievement of the Quality Awards by Regions, Areas, and Councils.  

ï‚· Work with the National Council President to secure the help of National, Regional, and Area committees in meeting local Council needs.

The National Commissioner reports on the status of Commissioner Service to the National Executive Board regularly:

ï‚· Inspirational stories about successes in local Councils.

ï‚· Status of each Council in qualifying as a Quality Council, as it relates to Unit visits by Commissioners, and the recruiting and training of more Commissioners.

ï‚· Rechartering percentage of Units to date, by Council and Area.

ï‚· Retention percentage of youth and Units, by Council and Area.

ï‚· Current ratio of Units to registered Unit Commissioners by Council.