Swimming exemption

Wilson-KY

The OP has not given much information to go on here, other than no head under water. I have zero experience what it takes to get an exemption from the council, but the fact that it was granted indicates it is legitimate, in my opinion. The range of reasons could be many and it may be that there is reason for his head to not even get wet. I would imagine most people are aware of swim caps and ear plugs and those options have been rulled out. Latex or silicon caps keep a lot of water out but not all. Maybe he has a scalp condition and chlorine severly aggravates it. I know of no salt water pool in the Midwest, those are usually only on the coasts. I have worked with a couple of kids who can swim well but have some sort of neurological condition that just drives their ears crazy trying to float on their backs. Who knows at this point. In the interest of being helpful to the OP and assuming the the best in people not the worst I offer theses suggestions. There are many skills that need to come together in order to successfully swim, head in water and breath control is an very important one but there are others. Arm and leg coordination as well as conditioning play a very important part as well. A straight leg kick, whip kick and even dolphin kick take many people time to develop and different muscles are used than on land. A PFD along with a kick board could be used to swim great distances and develop good technique. With a vest you PFD even arm movements could be added. Developing the ability to do these activities measured in the hundreds of yards not feet could go a very long way. One of the major reasons for the swimming requirements is survivability, not just fitness. Becoming very proficient in treading techniques would be very beneficial. The egg beater kick water polo players use takes a lot of skill for many to master. The ability to tread water for an extended period of time, say 20 or 30 minutes could go a long way in meeting the spirit of the requirements. Without looking the lifeguard requirements up I think five minutes without hands is all that is required. 20 minutes would be phenomenal and a great workout and self confidence. A spotter could be used to ensure he does not go under. The panic that can develop in an emergency situation is what does most victims in. He could even learned to propel himself in the water several hundred yards while treading. Though I would not call this "swimming" In short he could master many aquatic skills that do not require head submersion and be in a very good place when his medical situation is resolved. The real danger here is if the requirement is checked off and it is not stipulated that it must be revisited at a later time.

Until we get that "clarification" by the OP, perhaps we should just hold off on further comments.
We speculate, assume and make critical judgements with little to no facts all the time on this forum. Why should we stop now ?

Oh, it would be that pesky Scout Oath thing, wouldn't it ?

you guys are too funny.......

Personal experiences with poor swimming.....Lad was in a power struggle with dad and decided he could control his rank advancement by not passing it. Had a lad that refused to put his head under the water and ended up in such a panic during the swim test that he ended up in the nurse office and mom and dad came and got him from camp and they commuted to a motel every night.

He dropped from the troop a couple of years ago....

I have seen a guy with palsey pass the swimming test for pete sake.

Until we get that "clarification" by the OP, perhaps we should just hold off on further comments.
Scout oath and law.....

Your a funny guy.

So your post to this point....

I don't trust my son with his scout book.

I want my scout to eagle as soon as possible

I want my scout to earn the Outdoor achievement award.

I want my scout and his best friend to hold Patrol activities.

I want my scout to earn service hours for....

I want my scout too..................................

What about the rest of the guys in the troop???? Can they tag along too

BD you are completely misrepresenting my posts.

The latest being the service hours. I specifically stated the service hours issue was in regards to the older scouts and had absolutely nothing to do with my son. Go read it.

Personal experiences with poor swimming.....Lad was in a power struggle with dad and decided he could control his rank advancement by not passing it. Had a lad that refused to put his head under the water and ended up in such a panic during the swim test that he ended up in the nurse office and mom and dad came and got him from camp and they commuted to a motel every night.

Nice Scout Spirit BD.

What in the world are you talking about???

Did I write a commentary about what I thought about the lad who went to the motel Nope.

The boy who is in a struggle with dad and not passing the test????? no.....I have spoken to him about it and how it is only hurting himself.

There was a lad who had cerebal palsey who passed the swim test.....I was impressed what is wrong with that

How is your personal experience with poor swimming helpful to MidwestSteve's situation ?

I have seen a bunch of boys who can't/won't swim for a million reasons.

When a lad has the desire he will do it regardless of his physical condition....

I will be surprised if we ever hear from steve again. He was looking for a single answer. a single post for a very specific answer. He had his answer 2 days ago.

That wouldn't surprise me one bit.