OK, time to get serious

packsaddle

Or not. Reminds me of Pat Paulson. I think I still have one of those old campaign buttons. I used to love the Smothers Brothers and then that awful He Haw thing replaced them. American History, I guess...

http://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/story/56811.html

"Heads of both South Carolina parties said Wednesday they would welcome the comic on their tickets."

"With two weeks left to file for the state's races, Colbert will have to pony up $35,000 to enter the Republican primary and find either $2,500 or 3,000 signatures to join the Democrats."

That's quite a difference, but I guess the Republicans are more money-oriented...or else the Democrats are rolling in it. Nah.

But the following two quotes tell us a lot about the parties in SC:

"The whole thing is farcical. He's just creating attention for himself," said Sun City resident Maureen Hermiston, who plans to vote in the Republican primary and is a member of the Sun City Republican Club. "All I know is he's a comedian and he mostly pokes fun at Republicans."

Pat Goodman, a Sun City resident who runs the Sun City Democrat Club, said, "... I think it's great when someone with a sense of humor enters politics. It lightens things up," said Goodman, who runs the Sun City Democratic Club. "But I'm not concerned it will make any kind of real difference."

I'd say the 'sense-of-humor' war is definitely over....

"After Colbert chatted with real-life pundit Larry King last week about a possible bid, South Carolina's public television channel ETV invited the comic to start his campaign with them.

Colbert was the No. 1 choice among college students in a recent ETV poll asking who would inspire their interest in politics and the election, said Catherine Christman, the station's vice president of communications."

He'll probably take votes away from Ron Paul. :)

I'm guessing Gern was thinking of the 2000 election.

Gore: 50,999,897 48.38%

Bush: 50,456,002 47.87%

But he's technically correct even in the 2004 election. A majority of Americans did not vote for Bush.

Bush vote: 62,039,073

American population: 303,190,370

Percent of the population who voted for Bush: 20.5%

It's possible I'm taking things just a bit too literally here :-)

Hey Gern - You might really enjoy a book called "Deliver the Vote" which chronicles election fraud all the way back to our colonial era. Surprisingly, it is an amusing and enjoyable read despite the topic, and you get a good bit of history mixed in to the litany of electoral abuses.

As for me: I've been introducing "unknown candidate of the day" to my students. I couldn't care less who they vote for or even if they vote. But I would like them to know what a broad range of options really exist. Project Vote Smart is a gem for this sort of thing. Check it out here:

http://www.vote-smart.org/election_president_search.php?type=alpha