Philly Mayor Busted Waiting In Line For iPhone

BrentAllen

This is just too funny. Too bad it wasn't a Boy Scout in uniform who called him out.

Mayor Waits for IPhone, Then Leaves Line

Jun 29 02:23 PM US/Eastern

By RUBINA MADAN

Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Mayor John F. Street abruptly ended his wait in line for an iPhone Friday after a passer-by asked him about the city's murder rate.

Street, who showed up outside an AT&T store at 3:30 a.m., left shortly after a 22-year-old sporting a mohawk asked him, "How can you sit here with 200 murders in the city already?" The Philadelphia Inquirer reported on its Web site.

Street told the man: "I'm doing my job," the newspaper said.

Street had planned to stay in line for most of the day, waiting for Apple Inc.'s iPhone to go on sale at 6 p.m. When he left at 11:30 a.m., Street said he planned to return to his spot.

The mayor said he wants the new device because he loves trying out the latest technology. Apple's new handheld would allow him to work some of the day outside the office, he said.

"We don't have to be sitting in City Hall to be conducting city business," he said.

Philadelphia recently had its 200th slaying of the year. Its murder rate is up from last year, the deadliest in nearly a decade.

Too funny! Bet he was doing a whole lotta work waiting in line! Maybe that's why they are tossing the BSA out of their building so the city can rent it to pay for the mayors new iPhone!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10

All BSA-related comments aside for a moment, I find the mayor's explanation to be weak. He wants an iphone so that he can conduct some business away from the office? Don't we already have the capacity to do that with email, cell phones, PDAs, blackberries, etc.? He should have just said he wanted an iphone because they're the coolest, newest toy on the market (just like all the other techies out there who spent hours waiting in line). Now I think it is pretty interesting to note that the mayor was apparently not afraid to be standing on the street at 3:30am in a city with a murder rate as high as that.

And Ed, there's nothing in that article that suggests the city is paying for it.

So he was waiting in line. So WHAT? Is it now illegal for a mayor to stand in line to purchase a new toy?

Give the man a break. He did the deed HIMSELF. He did not put some city paid employee out there to hold his place in line.

And I don't give a hill of beans if he was on city time. Persons of his high rank are ALWAYS on city time. What little private time they do have is constantly and consistently interrupted all hours of the day or night.

I've done a lot of work for cities, counties and other public agencies, and yes, there are slugs out there, but most of the people I've worked with are concientous, hard working folk, who really care about what they deliver to the public.

Please also remember that the media will excerpt and edit any response the mayor makes, and also remember that the mayor was not quoted, it was reported second-hand by mohawk boy.

If PH hadn't kicked out the scouts, yall wouldn't bat an eye on this.

Actually, he DID have an aide hold his spot in line when he left.

"PHILADELPHIA - Mayor John F. Street waited in line for an iPhone on Friday, but left after eight hours and told an aide to hold his spot when a passer-by asked him about the city's murder rate."

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/ap/news/state/pennsylvania/20070629_ap_mayorawaitsiphoneleaveslineafterbeingaskedaboutmurders.html

Do you think the mayor would have the same attitude if every one of his department heads showed up in line, as well? They could all have the same argument - they need the latest technology to do their job.

I wouldn't have any problem if the mayor said he was taking a day of his annual leave to wait in line, but he didn't - he said he was on the clock, doing his job. Would he allow other city employees to do the same?

How can an iPhone help the mayor do his job better? I know! He can surf the net while making policy decisions! Dang! Why didn't I see that before! Plus, he can keep better track of the time he is waiting in line while he's on the clock for Ozfest tickets!

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10