BSA Training

"where should I go to learn how troops that really work, became that way?"

The best thing you can do is talk to other Scouters who have a lot of experience, and in particular, ones who are running troops that you admire. This can be at roundtable, at camporees, or even at training sessions. The training is intended to give a basic vision, and I''ve sat through some fairly painful approaches to conveying that basic message, but I find the most exciting discussions occur off the main course. Break time, lunch time, whenever.

There is no perfect, magic bullet. Every situation is different, and what will work in one may not work in another. But you can pick up hints and tips and ideas. Reading this forum is another way. And because different troops emphasize different aspects of Scouting, you''ll find different definitions of "really work".

Some troops take pride in how much they camp and all the outdoor fun they have. Others take pride in how many Eagles they turn out. Others in how ''boy-led'' they are. All can be right.

I think the most successful troops are those that have dedicated, enthusiastic leaders who will commit the time, use good judgement, develop a real rapport with the Scouts, and relay a vision for the troop. I''m sure this correlates with training, but I think that''s more because dedicated leaders will go get trained than because training makes good leaders. The Scoutmaster training courses (IOLS and Scoutmaster-specific) were two of the worst courses I''ve taken - both in terms of the actual presenters, and in terms of the syllabus. They might have been good for someone who was being introduced to Scouting for the first time, but everyone in the class was an experienced Scouter. Some of them were very good, from excellent troops. Your troop, too, can be excellent (for your own definition of excellent), but it''s going to come from a dedicated group of adults who put in the time with the troop, not just from training courses.

I will say that the Strictly for Scoutmasters course at Philmont is excellent. Tons of sharing amongst lots of dedicated Scoutmasters. It''s not just the basic vision of "here''s how you should do it", but much more practical advice, the kind you''re asking about. A little pricier than your usual training, though.

As for which council might offer better training, very hard to tell. But I''ll offer this suggestion: councils that have their act together in terms of planning and communicating their training courses are more likely to be doing a good job on the actual training itself. Are the courses listed on their web site? Are they planned out a year in advance? Can you register on-line? We have one district in our council where the training team is excellent. I''d go back for their training if I have an option. They have their act together.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOw do you know which districts offer great training? Ask around. Get to know some scouters from other districts (go to council events, or out of council events, and ask questions). Another way to do it is to find out what other districts and councils are in your area, and look at their training schedule. Those who seem to have their act together with regard to advertizing upcoming trainings well in advance might merit a call and a couple of quick questions about what''s being covered, by whom, and whether you (as an out of district/council) person can attend. No need to push why, although I suppose you could indicate that their schedule works better for you. I''ve found making these sorts of calls quickly indicates who has their stuff together and who is winging it.

How to find the recipe for a BSA-by-the-book troop? Yep, there is no such thing, or anyway I haven''t yet seen it. All troops deviate in some way. The question is whether the troop you are part of deviates in ways that are beyond what you can accept, and then, whether you can either put up with it, or be a positive source of improvement.

Is WB the grail of scout training? Depends on who you ask and what people want to see. Kudu would say it is a joke. Others would say it changed their whole lives. Still others would say sure, WB is great (well worth the time, money, effort, etc.) but it is only a start to your experience, not the pinnacle. And plenty of views in between too.

The value of training depends a lot on how well it is presented but it also depends on what you bring to it and what you hope to gain from it. And of course those are different for all of us.

If presented as they are written all the Training''s offered by the BSA are the same.

The syllabi''s don''t change.

It makes no difference if you take the training in Hawaii or Alaska.

While I have never been to Alaska or Hawaii, I kinda think that things are not the same in Alaska as they are in Hawaii!!

Locally we have Troop 160. Troop 160 isn''t a bad Troop. It doesn''t do everything by the book, but they offer a fairly good program which the Scouts seem to enjoy. They have just acquired some land and are busy making it into their little camp site.

Troop 155 meets five blocks from 160. These guys seem to do just about everything by the book. They have good adult leadership who work hard at really presenting the program.

Sadly the pack that used to feed 155 has folded and Troop 155 is hurting for membership.

I know both the SM''s well. Both are real nice, both feel that they are doing what is expected from them.

But both seem to have very different visions.

Training''s can and do provide the tools needed to help get the job done.

Visiting other Troops can help show what they do and maybe why they do it the way they do.

But at the end of the day each unit has to come up with some idea of what it wants to be and where it is going (A vision) It has to decide how it is going to get there. (A mission) It needs to break this down into bite sized pieces. (Goals) and then go out and start doing it!!

Training''s really can''t provide the vision, they might help shape it?

I need to know where I''m going and what I need to get there.

Once I know that I can start to do what is needed.

This "What I need?" can involve a lot!!

Maybe more specialized training?

Maybe special equipment?

Maybe teaming up with outside organizations?

All of this entails setting long term and short term goals.

It is worth remembering that a vision without action is just a dream and if you don''t know where you are going? You will never know when you have got there!!

Eamonn.