How did you do your rocket program?

Scoutfish

I want to bring some model rockets to our pack. By that, I mean I want to use them in some den meetings as both teaching tools and just because...well admit it...they are just cool! :)

Now, I know that you can use them in different ranks under engineer, space and science , build a model, space.things that go, and scientist...and for just holding an outside den meeting.

WEll. the kinds of lessons you could have with rockets is only limited by your imagination.

Things is, I want to know what you did.

Did it work okay? Could you have done something better?

What rank was the best to integrate rockets into? Sure , Webelos would be the obvious answer at first, but maybe Wolves or Bears responded more?

I just got my catalog, and am ready to order a few (complete) starter kits (as we have nothing at all right now).

Any advice is appreciated!

If "rocket program" means plastic model kits and the balsa wood propeller rocket racing then those are good for all levels of Cubs. We used alka-seltzer bits in film canisters with some water for pop-rockets as Cubs.

I would hold off on model rockets with a chemical engine until they are Boy Scouts. Then they can use them in Space Exploration as a requirement for the Merit Badge. Even water based 2-liter bottle rockets are dicey when you have young ones around.

We give an Estes rocket kit to every Cub (all levels) who makes their popcorn sales goal of $350. Then in August we hold our Pack Picnic and Rocket Shoot.

The easiest level rocket works for all levels. The younger ones need more help from an adult putting it together, the older ones not so much.

Only the adults handle the engines, and put the rockets on the launching pads. The kids get to push the launch button.

This is a VERY popular activity for the Pack. We invite prospective new new Scouts, and always have a big crowd.

You will need a LARGE open space, with room for the rockets to get blown off. We use a large county picnic grove with a shelter. We have pop-up flys that we use for rocket headquarters. These are manned by the adult "Rocketeers" and their helpers (Den Chiefs), and can be put where needed to take into account the wind direction.

Popcorn huh? Not a bad idea!

I'm going to have to buy complete starter sets , because we have nothing - no launch pads, no controlers , anything.

At first, I just planned on buying ready to fly rockets, but decided I should let the den leaders decide if they want to build their own..based on their dens ability.

Part of the fun is having the boys put together, and decorate if it is a plain white body, their own rocket. It gets them (and their parents) involved in the project. Even Tigers can build a level 1 rocket, with a lot of help from a parent, but it can still be done, and it is then their very own.

Where is the fun in launching a ready made rocket?

talk to your local hobby shops as they can get you deals, and it helps them stay in business, esp when they are a BIG supporter of Scouting ;).

We gave advance warning to the local store and everyone went there. Went to the local soccer field and had a BLAST>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!

Actually you can get everything you need from BSA National Supply (scoutstuff.org), except the launch pads, at a cheaper price.

Launch pads run from around $15 for a Quest Lift Off, to around $22 for a Estes Porta Pad II, at online hobby shops. Just do a search, and find the cheapest price.

From ScoutStuff -

Estes Viking Rockets - 12 - $28

Estes A8-3 Engines - 24 - $30

Electron Beam Launch Controller - 2 - $6 ea - $12

From Online Hobby Shops -

Estes Porta-Pad II Launch Pad - 2 - $22 ea - $44

Quest Lift-Off Launch Pad - 2 - $15 ea - $30

This would all add up to around $100 - $114 for 12 Scouts, launching 2X, from 2 launch stations.

Or - $179 - $200 - for 24 Scouts, launching 2X, from 3 launch stations.

I would recommend more engines, as the boys will want to go more than twice.

On the plus side, the controllers and launch pads only have to be purchased once. In follow up years, the Pack will only have to buy rockets and engines.

Ask your Pack families if any of them are into model rocketry. They might have launch systems the Pack can borrow, and some big rockets they can bring out to show off. They also make great Rocket Shoot event chairs (Rocketeers!).

A lot of good tips so far. When I've done rocketry with Cubs, we also sometimes did these activities:

- Teach range safety practices; similar to the rifle range at camp.

- Make altitude trackers from fishing line, split shot, pvc pipe and a protractor. It was a great way to apply some math.

- The Webelos each made their own launch controller. The circuitry is really simple and it takes about 2 hours to make one.

- Contest to see who can land their rocket closest to the target circle.

- Any excuse for a campout.

And of course I would kitbash a monster rocket, usually 4-5 feet long with a 3 engine cluster, just for the spectacle.

I diasgree with some of the previous comments about restrictions on who can do what. I have had great success with each young man packing his own chutes, engines, ignitors, and doing his own hook ups. Supervised of course, but making a rocket just so some adult can launch it is a super thrill kill.

Our guys launch their own rockets. With 17 ft of cable, they are far enough back from the launch itself to be safe. We use caution tape to mark off the "do not enter" zone. They love to see how high their rocket goes, and then to race after it as it comes down. Sometimes I think the racing after part is what they like best! When they return with their rocket to "Rocket Control Headquarters", they get assistance (from adults and den chiefs) in repacking the chute/streamers, and making any repairs. Then their rocket gets put in line for their next launch.

Make sure each person with a rocket puts their name on it!