Let the Races Begin! (or How to Minimize the Damage)

LilBearCub

Yeah, we had the movie through here in September. This Dad actually laughs and claims to be that dad with no guilt. Sad, really. We have emphasized that for several years -- it's just he doesn't care.

It wasn't a problem until the UC pushed through the rules that aided and abetted the problem. The guy was able to REALLY show his skills to win his son a trophy!! LOL

The workshops are a great idea, too! Thanks

One more comment - Do NOT run an elimination race. The boys who get eliminated are unhappy, have nothing to do for the rest of the race & usually end up leaving early.

This is the DOS program that we use that keeps all of the boys racing right up until the end.

http://www.wtrfrd.com/pack339/339stern.htm

There are others out there too. Here is another one that some folks use :

http://www.agentz.com/scouts/software.shtml

Have Fun!

What a great idea! Thanks for the resources. I'm not REALLY sure I understand it yet, but I'll read it more later. We've done double elimination for so long I still can't grasp every boy racing in every heat. But I have a college degree so maybe I'll get it eventually.!!!

The aim is to have every boy race on every lane against every other boy. It doesn't work out perfectly, but the only ones who know that are the ones running the race. As long as they keep on racing, most boys could care less if they don't remember racing in lane 3 or against Bobby Webelos. The nice thing about the Sterns method that we use is if the evening is getting long, boys are starting to get antsy & beginning to lose interest, we can finish out the heat group, cut out the rest & go to the final 1-2-3 race!

Double elimination is really the worst of the worst. We chucked it about 5 years ago and have had great times since!