Raffle at Olympics & Opportunist

ethicalgrandma

CHECK SCOUT ETHICS >>> NO RAFFLES!!!!

The main reason for Cub Scouts was ignored at the recent Olympics event. The raffle was held for at least 1/2 hr before the ribbons of the Olympics were awarded. Adult raffle games first and children's awards last.

Some adults held a fist full of raffle tickets (especially den moms), so they could give their child several opportunities to go up to the table and chose larger toys. Then some parents had not bought any tickets, not realizing the significance of "the raffle". Of course, the Tiger scouts didn't bring their wallets either.

So, as each child registers initially, each one is allowed one raffle ticket in the bin. Get this: only 4-5 scout names were called out in the raffle. The other some 40+ prizes went to numbered tickets. SO IT TURNED INTO AN ADULT EVENT, WHOEVER HAD THE BUCKS, several people sitting on 2-3 prizes.

The scouts starting at age 6 did not understand why they could not even win a frisbee, not expecting to win the table hockey game, etc.etc.

One mother's response was "they have to learn they cannot always win." WHO? THE ADULTS or SCOUTS? Even being a volunteer is not to be used as an opportunity to put the other kids after your own or "fix the winner list." LADY! You don't move the makers several times in one event to cheat for your own child. Even one of the fathers offered to get a tape measure, because she could not seem to fairly guess the feet on each softball throw. The other den mom said, "Can't change the way she's doing it after having done some many mis-estimates."

The scouts program is to treat each scout in the circle equally, so we thought. We need to encourage the good volunteers.

It sounds to me like she is basically just venting about 2 separate issues.

The first is the raffle. Although raffles are not allowed, many units (both Pack & Troop) still do them. The raffles are not held as "Adult Games". They are fundraisers for the Unit, & usually do pretty good. Also, the boys (all ages) do understand what raffles are & realize they are for raising money. They have fun trying for the prizes. Please, do not get the idea that I condone BSA raffles. I do not. However, our church often has raffles at their events.

The second issue seems to be how their recent Cub Olympics was run. Specifically, the way 1 person ran their event. It does sound like the judging was not very well thought out. If you are going to have winners (probably Bronze, Silver & Gold?) you should not be "guessing" at the results. There should have been specific (& clearly laid out) ways in place to measure the results of the events.

I would suggest that ethicalgrandma attend the next Pack Committee Meeting and voice her concerns.