Question for Korea Scouter

eisely

KS,

Since you are the only person I know of currently on active duty with the military I need to ask you a question.

Maps published of the United States by the US Geological Survey are, to my understanding, oriented on True North as it lays in the center of the printed area of the map in question.

If I recall correctly the maps the military prints for its own use are oriented on Grid North. Is that correct?

For those who may not know what I am talking about, there is a metric grid system using a Universal Transverse Mercator projection that was created for military use back some time in the 50's. More maps printed in the US are showing these grid lines these days and it is a really useful, easy to use, system once you understand it. The system is referred to generically as the UTM grid system.

Eisley;

Yup, we use UTM grid maps. In fact, they're what we train our Scouts with, too. We have to make sure we're using maps with the most current datum (World Geodetic System, 1984 revision, or WGS-84), clearly marked on each map. Using older-datum UTM grid maps will result in slight nav errors -- an inconvenience for Scouts, but very unpleasant when directing aerial fire support. And, we have to teach the dec angles, too. But, they pick it up pretty quickly. And, I can get the maps in any quantity I need, free of charge.

KS

The Department of Defense supports a number of youth groups and organizations in overseas areas. Not just BSA/GSA, but Boys/Girls Clubs, too. Subsidizes home school curriculum costs, many other things, too.

The whole idea is to give the kids a childhood that's as close as possible to what they'd experience if they lived back home. That said, our troop meetings are regularly paused by the deafening roar of four-ship formations of F-16s taking off on full afterburner. Whoever's talking at the time pauses; the lads sit quietly and wait for the last bird to get out of the pattern, then we resume. Not exactly a normal experience, but we don't have to tell our Scouts to stand up for the Pledge of Allegiance, either...

KS

This is the wrong thread, but I've gotta say it.

2 years ago this month I attended a Cub-o-ree. After we lined up for the Sat. morning assembly the leaders hemmed & hawed & finally got started. First item was honoring The Colors. As the leader with his back to a bluff that falls away to the bay started the Pledge of Allegience first one & then a second bald eagle soared into view behind him. They circled twice and then flew off upsteam. He had no idea why everyone had stopped. Yet to be honest I don't think that we could have scheduled a fly by any better.

One of the leaders who could see what had happened prompted him to start again & the boys let everyone hear the second time!