Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9648 topics in this forum

• 0 replies
    • 1.3k views
  1. Help with Ropework

• 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
  2. Patrol

• 0 replies
    • 1.2k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 0 replies
    • 1.4k views
    • 8 replies
    • 2.3k views
  3. Website wishes

• 2 replies
    • 1.8k views
  4. We need links

• 0 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1.8k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.7k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.7k views
    • 2 replies
    • 1.9k views
  5. Troop yearly plan.

• 1 reply
    • 2k views
    • 3 replies
    • 2.2k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• I am surprised the facilities use agreement was even contemplated.  Catholic Mutual advised dioceses to stick to charter agreements or do not allow any use at all.
    • I think we're all struggling with this. I have found myself saying and writing "cub scouts" more (for cub scouts, of course) whereas I used to just say "scouts" about them, and "the regular scouting program" about what is formally called Scouts BSA and trying to reserve "scouts" for those older youth. But I can see that my division of cub scouts being "extra" and Scouts BSA being the "regular" program isn't necessarily how others around me think about it so I don't know that I'd recommend that last bit. I suppose the way it used to be way back when cub scouts were wolf cubs and blue-winged butterflies makes it clear in that 'scout' isn't even in the name for those, but it would be a real bad idea to give up the US Cub Scouts brand when there's nothing particularly wrong with it. But, certainly, to me 'scouts' is the patrol-method-using thing above all else, so while it doesn't solve the problem directly I do think that adding that 'cub' for cub scouts can help with clarity.
    • Thanks, but I'm not sure that really helps. The BSA moniker is no more, yet we still brand our flagship program as "Scouts BSA?" (never mind the fact that "Scouts BSA" wasn't a particularly strong re-brand to begin with).
    • Cut and pasted from the front page of scouting.org
    • In defense of those parents, I don't think the BSA (SA?) has done a particularly good job of branding itself in the public sphere, considering those of us closer to the program still struggle. I still do not know how to refer to the classic Scouting program formerly for boys ages 11-18. We used to distinguish between "Cub Scouts" and "Boy Scouts." Then it was "Cub Scouts" and "Scouts BSA." Now, I guess it would be "Cub Scouts" and just "Scouts?" That's confusing because Cub Scouts are also Scouts, are they not?