Open Discussion - Program

Share Scouting Topics here.

Subforums

1. Scouts with Disabilities

Where parents and scouters go to discuss unique aspects to working with kids with special challenges.

A place to chat about Scouting's biggest gathering

9626 topics in this forum

1. SCOUTER MARTHA

• 1 reply
    • 1k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1 reply
  2. A new scout book

• 1 reply
    • 1.1k views
    • 1 reply
  3. Hiking Staff

• 1 reply
    • 1.2k views
  4. Mac Scouter Web Sites

• 1 reply
    • 1k views
    • 1 reply
    • 1.1k views
    • 1 reply
  5. Neckerchief Slide Supplier

• 1 reply
    • 1k views
    • 1 reply
  6. Dedicating new flags

• 1 reply
    • 1.2k views
  7. Happy Birthday BSA

• 1 reply
    • 1.1k views
    • 1 reply
  8. video documentary

• 1 reply
    • 1.3k views
  • LATEST POSTS

• Thank you.  This post is good materials for an interfaith service, but unfortunately, it is not what I am looking for. The Worship book from Philmont was about 25 pages long and had all Protestantism based material.
    • Not sure how to add this as a "file" , but here goes.....    “…to do my duty to God…”                    29 April, 2011                                     Blue Ridge Center , WVA         ** Opening/Welcome **BSA  Promise and Law:  Universal? **Scouting as a religion?   Or religious organization?   ”Declaration of Religious Principle” **B-P’s Quotes:  the origin, the result… **Us or Them? WHY  “Scout’s Own”? ** INclusive or INsulting? Choices:::  Nada,  Particular,  Sort of (with understanding but mushy),  Spiritually Suggestive HOW? ** Setting  :  Apart, special,   **Parts:  Gathering,  Middle (Reminders & Suggestions),  Closing & Benediction. ** Music? **  Program?   **  Chaplain Aides:::  Scout  Led. **About 15 to 20 minutes, max.   Some References:  Bible,   Qur’an,  Book of Mormon,  Lotus Sutra,  Hindu Vedas  ,  Gospel of the Redman=E.T.Seton,     The Scouter’s Companion=Gibbs Smith,   Strength For  Service=Nygard & Hunsberger,    The Best of the Leader Cut Out Pages=Scouts Canada ,   In  Our Own Way = R.L.Edmonds,  The Scoutmaster Minute = R. Wendel.     www.religioustolerance.org  ,   www.macscouter  ,   www.usscouts.org  ,      www.boyscouttrail.com   ,   www.religionfacts.com   ,   www.scouter.com   P.1/7 A Sample  Scout’s Own  Worship Service A  Gathering  === O  Great Spirit whose voice I hear in the winds     And whose breath gives life to all the world,  hear me. I  come before you as one of your many children . I am small and weak.     I need your strength and wisdom. Let me walk in beauty. Make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset.      Make my hands respect the things you have made         And my ears sharp to hear your voice. Make me wise so I may learn the things you have taught my  people, the lessons you have hidden under every leaf and rock.  I seek strength, not to be superior to my brothers,     But to be able to fight my greatest enemy,  myself. Make me ever ready to come to you with clean hands and straight eyes,  so when life fades like the fading sunset,     my spirit will come to you without shame.                 =attributed to Chief Yellow Lark,  Blackfoot = P.2/7 A  Re:sponsive Reading       The Scout Law Leader:    “The person who is dishonest shall not live in My house; the person who is  untruthful shall not stand before My eyes.”                       Psalm 101:7 Troop:   A SCOUT IS TRUSTWORTHY. Leader:  “And Ruth said: “Do not beg me to leave you or to return from following      after you, for where you go I will go; and where you stay, I will stay.”    Ruth1:16 Troop:  A SCOUT IS LOYAL. Leader: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”                               Leviticus 19:18 Troop:  A SCOUT IS HELPFUL. Leader:  “Can two walk together unless they agree?”                            Amos3:3 Troop:  A SCOUT IS FRIENDLY. Leader:  “Honor your father and mother.”                Exodus20:12 Troop:   A SCOUT IS COURTEOUS. Leader: “Withold not good from the person to whom it is due, when it is in the power      of your hand to do it.”                                             Proverbs3:27 Troop:  A SCOUT IS KIND. Leader:  “Apply your heart to instruction, and your ears to the words of knowledge.” Troop:  A SCOUT IS OBEDIENT                        Proverbs23:12 Leader:  “A glad heart is good medicine.”                              Proverbs17:22 Troop:  A  SCOUT IS CHEERFUL. Leader:  “Precious treasure remains in a wise person’s dwelling, but a foolish      person uses it up.”                            Proverbs20:12 Troop:  A SCOUT IS THRIFTY.                                          Leader:  “Be strong and of good courage.”                  I Chronicles28:20 Troop: A SCOUT IS BRAVE.                                             P.3/7     Leader:  “Who shall ascend the mountain of the Lord?  And who shall stand in His holy      Place?  The person who has clean hands and a pure heart.”            Psalms24:3-4 Troop: A SCOUT IS CLEAN. Leader:   “It has been told to you  what is good, and what the Lord requires of you;   to  do justly, and to love mercy , and to walk humbly with your God.”    Micah6:8 Troop:  A SCOUT IS REVERENT.              *        *        *        * A Dialogue          When Night Ends… A:   The rabbi asked of his students: “How can we determine the hour of dawn –  when the night ends and the day  begins?”    B:   “When , from a distance , you can distinguish between a dog and a sheep?”   one of  his students suggested. A:     “No”, the rabbi replied. B:    “Master, is it when you can distinguish between a fig tree and a grapevine?”   another  student asked. A:   “No “ he replied. B:   “Please tell us the answer, then”  said the students. A:   “It is when you can look into the face of a human being and have enough light  to recognize in him your brother”  the wise teacher replied.    “Until then, it is night, and the darkness is still with us.”              *        *        *        * P.4/7 A Choice            Silent  Worship     Listen!  To the world.  To yourself.   To the Spirit within and without. Listen! If something occurs to you, something stirred perhaps by what has gone before,  allow  the Spirit to move you to speak and share your thought.   But do not break the silence merely to break it . Listen!         *         *        *        *     A  Reading         “See thou that it is God whose praises all beings in the heavens and  earth do celebrate, even the birds (of the air) with wings outspread?  Each knows it’s own (mode of ) prayer and praise.”                             Qur’an, Ch.24, V.41                                                                                                                 P.5/7 A  Prayer            (found on a wall of an old inn in Lancashire England)     Give us health, our keep to make an’ a bit to spare for poor    folks sake; give us all in th’ struggle and splutter our daily bread and a bit o’ butter.                  Give us, Lord, a bit o’ sun         a bit o’ work and a bit o’ fun; give us sense, for we’re some of us duffers, an’  a heart to feel for all that suffers. Give us, too, a bit o’ a song, an’ a tale, an’ a book to help us along, an’ give us our share o’ sorrows lesson  that we may prove how grief’s a blessin’. Give us, Lord, a chance to be  Our goodly best, brave, wise and free, Our goodly best for ourselves and others Til  all men learn to live as brothers.                     (Amen) *        *        *        *          Benediction    (together please) “ May the  Great Scoutmaster   of all Scouts   be with us,                  til we meet again.” P.6/7 Various Prayers, Graces, etc. *Prayer to say before White Water Canoeing (or  do anything, come to think of it)::: “Dear God, we are about to go Canoeing. In a little while, we will be very busy. Please forgive us if we forget about you. Please do not forget about us.” *Superman Grace (to the tune of the first movie theme) with appropriate hand motions:::     “Thank you Lord, thanks for the foooood!     Thank you Lord, thanks for the foo-ooood!     Thanks for the fooo-ood, it really is goo-ood!     We thank thee, oh Lord!  Thanks for the food!         (buddadadum)” *Old Scottish Grace (with accent, if possible):::     Sum ha’ meat and canna eat,      Sum ca’  eat and ha’e  none.     But WE ha’e  meat, an’ WE ca’  eat,      And so the Laird be than-ked. *Philmont Grace:::     “For food, for raiment, for life, for opportunity,  for friendship and fellowship, we thank thee, oh Lord.” (depending on when you visited Philmont, there may be other versions of this) *Irish Blessing::: May the road rise to meet your feet, the wind be ever at your back and the sun be over your shoulder, and may God keep you in the palm of his hand, til we meet again.     May ye be in heaven 15 minutes afore the deevil  knows yer dead! *From Rumi:::  Let the beauty we love be what we do. *Navaho::    Before me peaceful             Behind me peaceful                 Under me peaceful                     Around me peaceful. *Kum-Ba-Yah:::         Sing the traditional hymn, but add verses about the Scout Law:     “A Scout is Trustworthy, Lord, kum-ba-yah,  a Scout is Loyal, Lord, kum-ba-yah…”     …and so forth.   You might be surprised how well it fits!                       
    • This document was an amazing resource for finding material for interfaith services.  I had the PDF bookmarked, but the link is now broken.  I guess I should have downloaded it.  And nothing shows up when I google search it. https://filestore.scouting.org/filestore/philmont/pdf/ProtWorshipBook.pdf
    • The group calls themselves ‘BOOTS’, which they say stands for Brotherhood of Old Tired Scouts, and they have been hiking and biking through the trails at Cameron Park for nearly 30 years, training for camping trips and helping maintain the park. “We have an adventure group,” Scott Littrell, known as ‘Mad Dog’ to his friends, said. “We go out twice a year on adventures, but we hang around a lot together. We mountain bike, we hike, we maintain trails, we fish, you name it, outdoorsy stuff.” He said the group formed out of their sons’ boy scout troop around 27 years ago. “It started with Troop 497,” Littrell said. “We had kids about the same age. After they all got their Eagle Scouts, the dads had all this camping equipment, and we decided it would be more fun without the kids just to go camping. We recruited people along the way.” ... Fun read, Source: https://www.kwtx.com/2024/06/26/central-texas-retired-scouts-group-hike-bike-cameron-park-trails-nearly-30-years-train-big-camping-trip/
    • Related story: Fourteen year old scout Lily Johnson earned the National Medal for Outdoor Achievement completing 127 nights of camping, over 500 miles of hiking, 85 hours of conservation work, a wilderness first aid course, became a Leave No Trace level one instructor, earned four 50-miler awards and planned two outings for the scout troop – including one 50-mile backpacking trip. “Once I get Eagle I want to just be a model for other scouts,” said Lily, who hopes to inspire other scouts to “do cool things.” Lily isn’t going to let the outdoor adventures end when their scouting career is over. Lily plans  to complete America’s through-hiking Triple Crown, which includes completing the Pacific Crest Trail, Continental Divide and the Appalachian Trail. The ambitious teenager hopes that throughout their life they can continue to see and protect the planet’s natural wonders and trails. “These trails have given so much to me, I better give back to them,” Lily  said.  Scout Salute. More at source: https://mltnews.com/edmonds-scout-first-from-non-male-troop-to-earn-prestigious-outdoor-achievement-medal/
  • Who's Online (See full list)