Eagle Scout Workbook

OGE,

That was my thought, too, but I hesitated posting. As a Shirley, I am guessing that SBL56 is female. Although I work with a man named Joyce, I've never heard of a male Shirley, but my apoligies if I am wrong.

As a female, Eagle can't be earned by a female in the BSA. If Sharon is the mom or an adult leader of an Eagle candidate, I think she has a bit of a misconception of how the process works. It seems to me that the candidate should be doing this for himself. Am I wrong?

Mark

But, as an Advancement Coordinator, wouldn't it be quite appropriate to get the forms to have available to the boys?

Sometimes I think you guys (yes, I'm a woman) decide that Mom is doing everything for the boys. That's not always the case. I, and I'm sure many other female posters, have legitimate reasons for requesting information, forms, etc. It's not just to make it easier for our son(s).

I also don't think it's inappropriate for a mom to try to find the forms to help out her son. The traditional way of getting the forms in from the Scoutmaster. Why shouldn't she try to locate the forms in the word format for her son? That doesn't automatically means she's doing everything for him. Maybe she has internet access and he doesn't.

First of all I am a WOMAN, and I am the Scoutmaster, is there a problem with that.

I told the boys that are life scouts that there is a web site where you can get the eagle workbook which is easier to type from. One of the scouts found a web site but it did not work right. So I was trying to find the web site that would work with word. But I couldn't find it myself. So I thought I would ask if any one knew of it.

Thank you,

Shirley (a woman)

Welcome, Shirley. And thank you, on behalf of your Troop for taking on such an important position.

Whatever you do, don't ask to see the Rules and Regulations of the BSA! Even us good ole' boys don't get to see those!

Shirley,

I asked why you were interested in it, being a scoutmaster is a perfect reason. (woman or man).

I am our Districts Advancement Chair and I get a lot of calls from parents who are doing the legwork for their son's Eagle or the Eagle candidate who wants me to tell him what to write, word for word. I guess was too wary for my own good.

I apologize if I offended you, it was not my intent.

Welcome to the Forum, there are nice people around (no, really) and dedicated scouters.

Here is another link your Life Scouts might find helpful:

http://www.flash.net/~smithrc/eagleprj.htm

(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Shirley:

My apoligies if I offended you discussing your gender. I was trying to make sure I didn't offend a male Shirley, just in case. If I gave any reason for you to believe I think you don't belong, please accept my apoligy.

As for the forms, your explaination certainly makes this more legit than I was guessing it might be. Although I work from a different philosophy (getting the Eagle wookbook is just one more task that a candidate must take on for himself), your assistance to the Scouts in your Troop is certainly appreciated, I am sure. This is assuming that the assistance is provided for all the Scouts, not just one.

Lastly, if the help was extended to just one Scout, I think it would not be appropriate, whether the boy was your son or not.

I am probably guilty of jumping to an incorrect conclusion, but I thought I had worded it in a manner that would allow you to provide more detail without causing you to defend yourself. If I did this poorly, I am sorry.

Mark