Photography MB update?

How about updating Photography MB requirements to include digital photography? Right now, requirements are all film. Digital's legit, growing in popularity, and comarable in cost. Scouts can also operate their own digital "darkroom/studio" with software that's just impractical with film...

KS

I think very few people have their own darkroom anymore. Look at how pictures are processed at your local drugstore -- feed in the film, chunk, chunk, out come the pictures.

Digital photography should definitely be included.

Add my vote in the affirmative column. In my line of work (fire & ems) we have switched primarily to digital, even for fire investigations that are prepared for legal proceedings. On the avocation side, I use digital extensively with results that equal or rival 35mm photography, except for very high quality applications. Digital's use in the professional world - encompassing all vocations - is gaining prevalence.

• 2 months later...

I can't find the requirements online to check the merit badge -

But I know we used my digital camera for alot of the badge when i worked with my son and two others who worked on it this summer....

I seem to think that for some of the requirements, the KIND of camera was not specified - so for things like illustrating lighting and perspective, the boys used my digital camera and had a ball with it.

they also used regular 35 mm SLRs, and the local community college offered a short B&W course (adult summer ed) that they signed up for to get the darkroom / development info and time.

When they were done, even with the 35mm photos - they scanned them in to the computer and each made a power point presentation to "show" & explain their photos.

The digital cameras ARE great, and I use mine alot - but their cost is still prohibitive to a boy using one - unless its a cheaper point and shoot type. Only the more expensive ones have controls for aperature and speed. For alot of people, you can't really understand those unless you get the chance to play with them.

For the badge, adding some digital requirements would be good, but I think it still serves to learn about the "old fashioned" way!

or maybe3 a separate badge for "digital" photography?