Since joining my son's troop as a committee member, I have sat on a couple of dozen BORs for every rank except Eagle. Next Wednesday, I will sit on my first Eagle BOR. I have read just about every resource available on this, but would appreciate feedback from veteran Eagle BOR members about their experiences. Thanks.

The most important thing to remember is that the purpose of the BOR is to examine the character growth and goals of the candidate, not to retest skills. Ask how scouting has affected their life. What do they see as their duty to others? How does their duty to God play a role in their life? What do they plan to do in the future to be of benefit to their community. What is their next challenge and what plans have they made to succeed at it. They have sworn many times to do their duty to their country what have they done to keep that promise?

It's not whether or not they can tie a bowline that makes them an Eagle, it is their understanding of the importance of character and responsibility that makes them Eagles.

Sometimes they come to the board with that understanding. You have the opportunity to make sure that they leave with it.

Bob White

Also, is their uniform correctly worn? Do they know what the various parts stand for? What special awards have they earned, or are wearing? What MBs do they believe most benefitted them, or will be of most benefit in life? These as well as the above have been asked at our Eagle BORs.

I have the pleasure of serving on several Eagle BOR's, and I look for the canidate's understanding what an Eagle Scout stands for. I also remind the Scout that once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout. I also like to focus on the Scout's future plans.

Scott Hemgren

ADC

Central Minnesota Council

As SM I do not do BOR's myself, but like to have my BOR members ask the Eagle candidates what changes he would like to see made in our troop operation, program, policies, etc. How can we improve scouting for the other scouts in the troop. I do like shemgren's emphasis on the future. Too many boys get their Eagle award and then "fly away"!