My boys have to transfer to a different troop within the metro area for various reasons. How is a transfer usually handled? I was told by our troop to write a letter (not email) to the SM and commity chair person, explaining the reason for leaving. Then it has to be approved by those two people and then we can switch, if approved.

Is this usually handled like this? I don't think I have to give them a reason at all especially not in writing. As long as the know the troop number we are transferring to, that should be enough or not?

maddoro, you will want to get a completed transfer form from the troop you are leaving. It will contain your sons advancement history and be signed by the scoutmaster. You will give the new troop scoutmaster the transfer form and a youth member application. The cost to transfer is, I believe, $1, provided you have a current membership. The new unit might be curious as to why you have chosen to transfer, and they could request a written explaination. The BSA does not require one, but that does not restrict the Charter Organization from requesting one.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

On the OA side of the house, you may need to transfer if moving to another lodge. This is fairly easy as long as you have a current membership and complete the paperwork and pay the transfer fee or dues for gaining lodge. If you sons were elected for the OA and not completed the ordeal. The lodge can write a letter to the gaining lodge explaining the scout was elected but not able to attend an ordeal. This should work. If problems, contact the lodge vice-chief for membership, if there is one. Keep in mind that you have one year from the election to complete the ordeal or they will have to be re-elected (hopefully without any dimpled chads).

The original post by maddoro seems to suggest that the current scoutmaster and committee chair might have some sort of veto over a transfer. This is not correct. As long as there is another unit willing to accept a scout, there is no restriction on transferring of which I am aware.

Thanks eisely.

That was the answer I was hoping for. The old troop had told me that they have to make a decision and will then send me the paperwork. Why should I have the new scout master call the old SM? This is what I was told by the old troop:"For your information, council policy is that transfers are tracked and

examined carefully as it indicates a potential problem with a scout or a

troop. All new troop leadership is required to contact former troop

leadership and exchange information about the scout/s." To me it sounds very negatively. The only reason why we are leaving is that we have conflicts on the night the troop meets for the next 3 years.Both of my sons are good citizens, were always involved in scouts. So, I don't know.

Maddoro,

The only communication required between the two Troops is the transferform with the advancement information.

I have never heard of a report or a council office tracking transfers. There is a monthly report to the DEs and District Commissioners tracking current youth membership and any exodus of scouts from a troop can be easily seen.

Bob

• 4 months later...

We have just gone through this excercise in our Troop. Our Council Service Center only requires the New Scout Application marked "transfered" and $1.00 if the boy is transfering within the council. If he is coming from outside the council, transfer paperwork listing his advancements is required. From within the council, advancement records follow the boy from Troop to Troop, so no transfer paperwork other than the application is needed.

For the new Troop, either some type of advancement record (easily generated from Troopmaster or other Scouting software) would be helpful. Without such, the new Troop will either have to contact the old Troop to determine advancement status, or trust what the boy's Handbook says.

In either case, although no formal communication is required, courtesy has to require that a boy who wants to transfer (or quit, in my opinion) MEET with the Scoutmaster to discuss the issue. Certainly, things change to make the experience a boy is having in a Troop deteriorate. But the Scoutmaster should be given the oppurtunity to know what is wrong so that he can fix it before others feel the effect. I believe a parent who does not require this of their son does him a disservice. Boys should not be permitted to believe that they can retreat from anything without explaining why.

Mark