Why is so hard to find Venturing information?

Son#2 will age out soon as is considering joining a Venturing Crew. I found one (a bit of a drive away) that seems to share the same interests (backpacking, hiking, canoeing) and he knows a guy or two from the OA lodge. So far so good.

But he really does not know much about Venturing and the BSA website does not seem to have a good over view that I can share with him. Anyone know of a good FAQ? 

Son#1 did the ASM thing for awhile but the training requirements were a bit much and it is an awkward transition at best. Son#2 really just wants to squeeze in a little more fun before going away. 

• Upvote 1

It’s pretty easy. If he’s still under 18 you can work on Boy Scout ranks and awards in addition to Venturing awards. If he’s over 18 then he works on Venturing awards only. Wiki is pretty good. Program awards are easy and are based on planning and event execution among other things. Expert level awards are sort of like merit badges but can be pretty intense to complete. On my crew few guys work on the awards since they made Eagle. The girls tend work on the awards more than the guys. Let me know if you have any questions. I can give you an idea of how the youth think about these things. I like it because it’s run like a club.

https://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Venturing_Award

• Upvote 1

I tried the ASM route but it’s hard no longer being with your buds. And I didn’t fit in with the adults. It’s more depressing than anything. You have a constant reminder of what you can’t have. Since my troop is big on adults sipping coffee and staying out of our hair there’s not a lot for a 19 year old to do.

• Upvote 4

I tried the ASM route but it’s hard no longer being with your buds. And I didn’t fit in with the adults. It’s more depressing than anything. You have a constant reminder of what you can’t have. Since my troop is big on adults sipping coffee and staying out of our hair there’s not a lot for a 19 year old to do.

Boy can I relate. Still did some of the fun, but not alot to do.

I tried Sea Scouts, but the ship was "interesting." What did it for me was OA. Got super active in the lodge.

• Upvote 1

But he really does not know much about Venturing and the BSA website does not seem to have a good over view that I can share with him. Anyone know of a good FAQ?  

I would agree with the advice given. I recently retired as SM and became a CA. It is *far* more laid back than the troop. I would also agree that the girls tend to be more interested in advancement than the guys; though most of our guys were also Eagles and, well, once you have done that there wasn't much reason to punish yourself any more. ;)

We are pretty active. We have three types of activities: Tier 1, 2 and 3. Think of Tier 1 like usual mtgs or events. Tier 2 is like a monthly camp out but can be other types of events. Tier 3 are big-time activities like treks and long-term (my term, but 96hr +).

As a CA I really like the way Venturing is set up because nearly all the planning (except some payments) are done by the crew officers.

Uniform is also another thing. Our crew only has t-shirts, though some of the kids decided to get the green Class A's anyway. Meals and other prep is far less laborious than in the troop setting. I guess you *could* mirror a troop's set up, but why would you? We went laid back with our approach and, I have to admit, has re-invigorated me as a leader. I was getting pretty tired of the parents and their drama.

Relax and enjoy it TT. Venturing seems to be was Scout used to be. Well, at least until someone at national decides to screw it up.

• Upvote 3

Welcome to the dark side! We have cookies. :D

A venturer's experience really is a combination of the quality of the advisor and putting enough in to get something out of it.

If he's into details there's a Venturing handbook, and an awards book on sale at the scout shop.

Me, I loved being an ASM, so I'm not so sure I personally at age 18 would have considered Venturing if it were available. (I had friends who were Explorers.) But, I'm sure glad I could be a CA over the past decade.

Son#2 looked at the info and was not too impressed with one local Venturing unit --they seemed more like an older Venturing patrol scabbed onto a Troop. (Some of the guys I know in OA seem to be in almost 'sham' Venturing units). I like the green uniforms though.

He really doesn't want to go the ASM route...he just doesn't think it sounds like fun...and he really served his Troop so I can't blame him. He wants to go the "College Reserve" route and get more active in OA, maybe work Summer Camp, etc. Might want to drop in on the occasional camp out...I hope so the younger guys think he is awesome. 

I do envy the smoother aged tier program of the UK scouts...seems like you turn 18 in BSA you turn into a red headed step child.

IMHO BSA needs to do a much better job explaining Venturing...the information is confusing. Maybe it is just me and it is hard to get my head around the looser concepts and awards after all these years of Cub and Boy Scouting.

The ginger analogy is way too accurate. I don’t know many guys who stay with their troops after 18. You just don’t fit in. Unless the Troops is adult run there’s nothing to do really. That’s a good thing I guess because it keeps parents out. Venturing is different depending on where you go. I am at school with 60 miles of my home so I stuck withy crew. We do stuff once a month and sometimes do stuff with the Troop but still separately. We’re going to Philmont next summer. Maybe your son will find a more active and independent crew.

• Upvote 1

Son#2 looked at the info and was not too impressed with one local Venturing unit --they seemed more like an older Venturing patrol scabbed onto a Troop. (Some of the guys I know in OA seem to be in almost 'sham' Venturing units). I like the green uniforms though.

He really doesn't want to go the ASM route...he just doesn't think it sounds like fun...and he really served his Troop so I can't blame him. He wants to go the "College Reserve" route and get more active in OA, maybe work Summer Camp, etc. Might want to drop in on the occasional camp out...I hope so the younger guys think he is awesome. 

I do envy the smoother aged tier program of the UK scouts...seems like you turn 18 in BSA you turn into a red headed step child.

IMHO BSA needs to do a much better job explaining Venturing...the information is confusing. Maybe it is just me and it is hard to get my head around the looser concepts and awards after all these years of Cub and Boy Scouting.

Sounds like the plan of getting involved with the OA and going the college reserve route is a good option at this time.  Many moons ago when I aged out then went off to school that made me a better adult leader today was the 2 years I spent as an ASM with a troop located where I was going to college.  It made the transition to the adult role much easer just due to the youth of the new unit saw me as a adult instead of one of them.  Also it did not hurt that the SM was only 24 and did not have any active ASM's at the time with about 30 active youth in the unit.  To this day I would still have to say it was the best boy run scout unit that I have ever worked with.

Edited by ValleyBoy
  • Upvote 1