Tenderfoot and other ranks

We occasionally meet at the scout camp in town. When we camp there it counts as a campout. You should probably tell us more about your question. Generally when I think about a campout it means staying somewhere overnight where the scouts are responsible for providing for their own needs: things like cooking and cleaning for themselves, setting up their sleeping quarters, etc.

Edited by T2Eagle

Our troop meets at a Sportsman Club with acreage, woods, and a campground set up in the back of the property.  Also, there is a indoor bathroom building there.  In the last few years, the Sportsman Club has puts on a Haunted Forest in October, and needs volunteers to scare the "victims".  Needless to say, the scouts enjoy the campout.

Do you count your meeting location as a place where a scout can satisfy the campout requirement?

We have a troop in our area that camped at their charter org site which was essentially a Park (no trees). They counted that as a camp out to get their gold unit award. Pretty lame and only 20 of their 75 Scouts attended. Five guys from that Troop quit and joined my troop. My troop would never camp on our property. Unless my unit has a wooded or remote plot of land we wouldn’t count t as camping. Might as well Camp in our backyard.

Our CO (a church) has a piece of property on the edge of town they are holding to someday relocate.  We meet at the church.  once a year we have a campout at the property primarily for the first years to get them acclimated to the patrol method, work on basics, catch up the boys who couldn't get to camp, allow some boys who cant make the whole weekend get at least one night in as they work around school/sports conflicts.  aone time we made the weekend a focus on cooking and we set up all different ways of cooking inthe field and basically had different food/meals going non stop.  anyway, it provides a good "starter" camp environment.  we don't go there often, most the time we are hitting the road to camp but staying local does provide some opportunities.  we have found for some of the new boys (and their parents) the idea of them being close by w/ the ability to go home quickly if things go south gives all concerned a comfort level they need to get used to the whole camping thing.  rarely does anyone actually avail themselves of going home/picking up their kids early.  The new boys realize next time they want to go away to camp and the parent realize their kids will surviv a couple nights in a tent w/o them.  It's a nice start in the shallow end sort of deal.

I think that if a troop, as a unit, is sleeping outside, either in tents or under the stars, that is a camping trip.  Our troop sometimes camps (every two years I think) on the property of a fraternal organization that allows us to use the property.  The property is essentially just off "Main Street."  From the camping area you can see the houses across the street, not to mention the organization's lodge.  Otherwise it is fairly secluded, for where it is.  So it's not exactly "backwoods camping", but it is still camping.  A troop that only did that sort of camping would not have much of a camping program.  Once every two years seems about right.

We have a troop in our area that camped at their charter org site which was essentially a Park (no trees). They counted that as a camp out to get their gold unit award. Pretty lame and only 20 of their 75 Scouts attended. Five guys from that Troop quit and joined my troop. My troop would never camp on our property. Unless my unit has a wooded or remote plot of land we wouldn’t count t as camping. Might as well Camp in our backyard.

IMHO, if they set up tents and slept in them, it counts. It's lame, but it fulfills the letter of the camping requirement.  

As already noted, technically it should, though hopefully that is not the norm or only camping.  These decisions are still the responsibility of the adults ultimately, though if the scouts were to weigh in against it, they would take that into account.  The thin line again.