I am a greenhorn den leader for a group of Tigers. We have 16 boys, but going to make two dens. Although will probably have meetings together. Myself, another DL and a ADL. So three leaders for 16 boys.

I am a little anxious about this. Speaking on front of people isn't my favorite thing anyway. I figure it will work out or I will need to ask for a committee position. ,

That's a call for encouragement if I've ever seen one. Yes, herding cats boys is a challenge. Speaking in front of tigers is a whole lot different than speaking in front of adults. It can also be a lot of fun. Don't worry about making a fool of yourself. In fact, that can be a great way to form a bond with them. Getting pied is good. Be silly. It will get easier.

I had a scout that was terrified of talking to people and yet he completely enjoyed making up stories and eventually did stand up comedy.

I'd suggest have a plan and don't worry too much when things don't quite follow it. Let's be honest, when your first child was born weren't you also worried? There's no manual for being a parent and being a den leader is a lot easier.

Lots of stories on here about people's first time in front of a crowd.

Some things to level the playing field:

Use chairs, sit in a circle or around a big table.

Randomly call "switch" to mix up seating positions.

Volunteer the parents based on their talents.

As nervous as you may be, there's bound to be a boy in that crowd just as apprehensive. Look for him.

Have fun.

I've filled in for a tiger den leader a few times, due to illness and whatnot.  What I've learned is that the little guys work great with silly.  If you can take a lesson plan and make it  silly, that's great.  Den Cheers?  yep.  Den yells?  "Are there any Tigers here?"  Each boy stops, makes his "tiger face" and yells "rawr!!"   Den leader doing a pantomime of a camel with marshmallow humps while the boys sing "Alice the Camel?"  They love it.

The other thing is to turn it into a game, especially an activity game if the boys are starting to get wiggly.... scout oath or law relay?  Check (Put the Words on cut up pieces of poster board, teams of 3-4 boys and they have to take turns running down to get the pieces and put them in order)  This works with healthy snack relay, basically anything where you can turn it into a game where they are running around,that's great. 

The little guys aren't expecting us to be a master of public speaking, keep it fun, keep it on their level and you'll do fine!

• Thanks 1

I am a greenhorn den leader for a group of Tigers. We have 16 boys, but going to make two dens. Although will probably have meetings together. Myself, another DL and a ADL. So three leaders for 16 boys.

I am a little anxious about this. Speaking on front of people isn't my favorite thing anyway. I figure it will work out or I will need to ask for a committee position. ,

Remember with Tiger cubs, you also have a parent (and sometimes two) with each Tiger.  

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum, it's good to see you jumping in.

Kids at this age are rather resilient, they forgive easily and are there to have fun.  It would seem you are taking the job too seriously.  Relax, enjoy the boys and don't worry about things, they don't.  The more anxious you are, the more the boys will sense it.  Just take care of your boys and make sure you have fun too.

I have found that at that age, you really can do no wrong unless you are trying. 

I will counter the one suggestion about chairs and tables.  Forget it.  Sit in a circle on the floor.  Always start out with a game for 10 minutes.  It burns their energy and gives you some time to relax and enjoy the fun with them before sitting down.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, Tampa Turtle said:

I was a reluctant Tiger leader but my 2nd week in I was at the grocery store and one of my boys pointed me out to his mom "That's him! My Scoutleader!". I was hooked. I felt like a rock star.

Ditto. Went to the school one day for something and it was lunch time. I got waves and high fives all down the hallway.

• Upvote 2

For whatever reason the families I had in the Tiger-Wolf ages had a lot of separation/divorce drama (I have seen it again about Webelos II-Scout transition) for reasons I have no idea. So I think there is a valuable role to play as that steady adult influence where things are changing. If you have one of those scouts try to see if they need a little extra support especially around pinewood derby time. YMMV