Will you poach our crew's women?

So, two years from now, the 14-17 year old females who might join my crew could join your troop. (Spare me the "separate program" flim-flam. :mellow: ) If your CO and parents and maybe yourself are going to be "welcoming girls" into the Boy Scout, what will you have to say about venturing?

Will it be necessary? Superfluous?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How about redesigning venturing into a young adult program?  Overlap it with college ages.  Overlap it with college service fraternities.  Put certain boundaries on it (no drinking, etc).  It's about

Will you poach our crew's women? Do they have ear tags?  Have you claimed them?  Seems really cavemanny

This is the standard opinion of most scout leaders in the BSA program, and I cringe every time I hear it. When I was the district membership adviser and SM trainer, I taught troop and crew leader

Unfortunately so few know anything about venturing other than always being told " it was a way for girls to join Boy Scouts" 

I know our School has been hesitant to start a crew because of the age issue  - members being over 18 and therefore by definition no longer students. 

Is the BSA the only scouting organization with age overlaps among its programs?

From the Scouting Association

Cubs (8-10 yrs old)

Scouts (10-14)

Explorer Scouts (14-18)

Scout Network (18-25)

No overlap, no poaching.

Edited by RememberSchiff
removed random characters
  • Upvote 1

It will ultimately be abandoned. Just my prediction. It'll stick around for a few years during the transition, but in five more years, it'll be gone. Scouts will be for ages 10-18 and the OA will be open to all youth up to 20 years and 364 days.

So, two years from now, the 14-17 year old females who might join my crew could join your troop. (Spare me the "separate program" flim-flam. :mellow: ) If your CO and parents and maybe yourself are going to be "welcoming girls" into the Boy Scout, what will you have to say about venturing?

if they continue with (what is in my opinion) the mistake of the separate but equal program for boys and girls age 11-17 the answer is no, in fact, I think you might see a growth in venturing for both genders as the boys and girls would still be able to earn Eagle in the crews and won't have to deal with the weirdness of separate programs.

If down the road there can be co-ed troops.  I think that those troops with a strong program will have scouts that don't see much of a need for venturing and we may see something develop more like the Venture program I remember from the 1980's. 

Poaching OUR women. Wow. How about the women leaders go wherever they want or are needed? I didn't realize women had no choice. 

Oh yes, the thin veneer of free will! ;)

Actually, I hadn't thought about female adult venturing leaders being drawn from a crew at the request of a troop. My whole career as an advisor has been asking help from female adults leaders in packs, troops, and other crews!

I’m on Venturing and our crew has been discussing the impact this decision will have on us. One question we had that we didn’t see answered by bsa was will Venturing even be around? Isn’t having Venturing redundant to the whole girls in scouting thing?

By the way our female leaders have already said they will stay with Venturing and have no interest in Boy scouting.

I’m on Venturing and our crew has been discussing the impact this decision will have on us. One question we had that we didn’t see answered by bsa was will Venturing even be around? Isn’t having Venturing redundant to the whole girls in scouting thing?

By the way our female leaders have already said they will stay with Venturing and have no interest in Boy scouting.

Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't Venturing ment to be HIGHER "Venturing" then normal scouts?  Going on more challenging trips then local "car camping".   In my mind, Boy Scouts from 11-14 would be time to work on merit badges and eagle, and assuming they get their eagle before 18, they would then join Venturing to stay motivated in Scouting.  I have had a few 14 year old Eagle Scouts that drifted away because there was "nothing left" for them to do, I always promote Venturing as the next step.

• Like 1

Maybe I am mistaken, but isn't Venturing ment to be HIGHER "Venturing" then normal scouts?  Going on more challenging trips then local "car camping".   In my mind, Boy Scouts from 11-14 would be time to work on merit badges and eagle, and assuming they get their eagle before 18, they would then join Venturing to stay motivated in Scouting.  I have had a few 14 year old Eagle Scouts that drifted away because there was "nothing left" for them to do, I always promote Venturing as the next step.

Not "higher", but maybe "broader" activities. And for some of my boys venturing is attractive because they don't have to endure the grind of advancement. So, instead of "next step" think "side step" and all the pros and cons that come with such a notion.

But, I think you describe the motivation of Exploring at its inception.

Is the BSA the only scouting organization with age overlaps among its programs?

From the Scouting Association

Cubs (8-10½)

Scouts (10½–14)

Explorer Scouts (14–18)

Scout Network (18-25)

No overlap, no poaching.

Yep.  Move Star, Life, Eagle and Merit Badges into the 14-18 age range, make Scouts all about 1st Class Skills, Summer Camps about having fun, etc.  

• Upvote 1

Yep.  Move Star, Life, Eagle and Merit Badges into the 14-18 age range, make Scouts all about 1st Class Skills, Summer Camps about having fun, etc.  

And the 14-18 age range don't need fun? :) It all has to be about fun.

That hasn't been decided yet.  They haven't announced how they were going to integrate females into the 10 1/2-13 age group.