OFFICIAL NEWS RELEASE: Girls as Youth Members, All Programs

Local Option? Ha ha ha ha. Until the 1st lawyer approaches the CO. Then it is either fold or admit.

I see no logic in that.  If that was going to happen, it would have happened a long time ago.  Lawyers (hypothetical lawyers) who wanted to get girls into Boy Scout troops did not need this announcement in order to take action.

And, for the one area in which "local option" is already in effect, it has worked.  At least, there have been no reports of any problems.  And if there WERE any problems anywhere, they would have shown up in this forum within 5 minutes.

Edited by NJCubScouter
Edited to add "need" in first paragraph, second sentence
  • Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm glad the board made this decision. It is the right one, for our youth and for the future of Scouting. If some COs and leaders can't adjust to modern life, so be it. The Scouts will be just fine, r

I became Eagle shortly after you (1978).  When I joined, the old requirements were still in place, and I earned Second Class under them.  I had about half the requirements for First Class done when th

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Nope, this argument is the straw man. Boy Scouts is for boys. So a member of an organization for boys -- that has been for boys only for over 100 years -- has a very valid argument aski

Also not sure how this is going to help families with boys and girls to participate at the same time except for Pack meetings.  The pack in our area have den meetings on all different nights, so unless the siblings are twins or in the same grade, they wouldn't have meetings on the same night anyway.  I assume some packs have all den meetings on the same night, but don't see it working in our area.

That is how the Cubs were run when I was a kid but Our Pack meets as a Pack every other week then splits up into dens.  Everyone meets at the same time.  There is only one den per grade level. So there may be a 24 scout den, at the den level of the meeting it splits into smaller groups for the activities.   I think many Packs use this model.  It has several advantages.

We thought that, or a version of that, would be in the new program when the Cub program was revised but it was tabled. 

Well, good bye Scouting. I doubt the LDS Church will stay in the program much longer.

This is the most tragic death-knell I have ever imagined possible. To say good bye to the Boy Scout of America, after more than 100 years of success, is truly, truly tragic. I can't even express how heartbroken I am. 

I will miss this program. I can't even express my grief.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Well, good bye Scouting. I doubt the LDS Church will stay in the program much longer.

This is the most tragic death-knell I have ever imagined possible. To say good bye to the Boy Scout of America, after more than 100 years of success, is truly, truly tragic. I can't even express how heartbroken I am. 

I'm sorry that you feel so grief stricken.  Please know that, many many of us are still here, toiling away at delivering the same amazing program to all who wish to participate - along with millions of our brothers and sisters across the worldwide Scouting movement.

I have been in those meetings. Most do not want the expense and the hassle of dealing with it. Some will just opt out. 

Some may - that is their choice.  Obviously they don't feel very strongly about their position if they fold so easily.  I've seen plenty of cases where frivolous legal threats were dismissed rapidly and without concern - as it should be.  Its a shame that "legal bullying" is viewed by some as an acceptable in our country.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm sorry that you feel so grief stricken.  Please know that, many many of us are still here, toiling away at delivering the same amazing program to all who wish to participate - along with millions of our brothers and sisters across the worldwide Scouting movement.

The same program! Ha. The program is dying, and all the talk in the world won't change that. You can claim to be delivering the "same amazing program,", but it isn't that now, is it? That program is dead. If only the world could all see that.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The same program! Ha. The program is dying, and all the talk in the world won't change that. You can claim to be delivering the "same amazing program,", but it isn't that now, is it? That program is dead. If only the world could all see that.

I'm not talking.  I'm actually doing.  I'm doing my part to deliver the program.  If it does die, it will not be because of those of us who remain committed to making the program run.

I would suggest that if you're seeing things the rest of the world isn't seeing... Maybe the problem isn't the rest of the world.

• Upvote 2

Since this is local option, I don't see why that would be the case.  No LDS unit needs to do anything different from what they are doing now.  They will not be required to have girls in their Cub Scout packs and they will not be required to have charters for units in the parallel program at Boy-Scout-age level.

Besides, I would be very surprised if BSA National did not explain what I just said to the LDS leadership, and get their clearance, before announcing this decision.  The BSA does not want to lose the LDS members any more than you want to leave the BSA.

• Upvote 1

Ignoring the argument about whether this will stop the membership decline or not for just a second, let's say the BSA did nothing different today, membership kept declining, and in 10 years there was no more BSA because they didn't have the membership numbers to support the organization any longer. Is that a better way to go out? 

Personally I'm much happier to see the organization fighting to stay alive then to simply fade into oblivion. 

• Upvote 3

I actually have a twin sister that comes to my Den meetings.  She's great, but not a Cub Scout.   There are understood boundaries.

Knowing my Pack leadership, they will jump the gun and integrate Dens. 

I'm not sure if I'm interested.  I do this to develop boys.  We do things boys like to do.  If by chance my Den gets sent a couple girls next year, I'll have to think hard about continuing or finding something else for my son.

Some may think of this as a shallow concern, but I'm afraid they'll ruin the uniforms.  Probably come out with some unisex pullover.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm not talking.  I'm actually doing.  I'm doing my part to deliver the program.  If it does die, it will not be because of those of us who remain committed to making the program run.

I would suggest that if you're seeing things the rest of the world isn't seeing... Maybe the problem isn't the rest of the world.

I do not thinking you are being respectful to those who have put a lot of time into the program and do not agree with the change. LatinScout seems like he was a heavily involved scouter at the local level.

• Upvote 1

Well, if I understand your question, I think that is exactly what the plan is.  Boy Scouts for boys and "Something" Scouts for girls, with different units for each.  Not coed troops.

Respectfully disagree.  If they are going to award Eagle to girls (and they say they are), we're going to see "separate but equal" troops of girls.  I wonder how long that will last...

• Upvote 1