New rule for Eagle palms

we are not awarding the Medal of Honor for pete's sake.  It's a bronze palm.  let the boy have it.

That's what I'd like to do, and given the fact that nobody has even tried to convince me that the rules say otherwise, and my CC will go with my recommendation, that is what is going to happen.  As for your comment about it being a Bronze Palm and not the Medal of Honor:  It is a Bronze Palm, but it is not my Bronze Palm, it is the BSA's, and they get to decide who receives it.

• Upvote 1

Well since he did all of the WORK (earned all the mb) before he turned 18, and he was just waiting on the BOR to be scheduled to complete the last portion of the requirements for eagle and his palms.  So he gets the palms.

Well, a scout with a the same 18th birthday but in a more nimble district who provides EBORs within that month (say, on July 31st) would not qualify although having also done all the WORK -- unless you are arguing that waiting longer for adults to convene is so much more arduous as to be Palm-worthy.

I expect there to be a few amusing Eagle recognition dinners this year.

He earned the merit badges before his 18th birthday.
His Eagle BOR was after August 1.

I don't see a problem with him receiving the palm.

That the merit badges were earned before August 1, or that he turned 18 before August 1, is not relevant, IMO.

If this had gone into effect 31 years earlier, I would have gotten a palm. But it didn't and I didn't. Such is life.

That's what I'd like to do, and given the fact that nobody has even tried to convince me that the rules say otherwise, and my CC will go with my recommendation, that is what is going to happen.  As for your comment about it being a Bronze Palm and not the Medal of Honor:  It is a Bronze Palm, but it is not my Bronze Palm, it is the BSA's, and they get to decide who receives it.

My point was not that the award is meaningless, or that one just go to the Scout shop buy one and hand it out but that all the discussion and hand wringing seems a little silly to me.  Interpret the guidance from National, discuss among Troop leadership, and press on.  If the boy, in your Troop's opinion met the criteria as they understand it in good faith then that ought to be enough.  I have seen actual combat decorations awarded (deservedly) with less scrutiny than some Boy Scout awards receive and I guess I find it funny.