Photo
- - - - -

Penn State Pro Wellness at Bashore Scout Reservation (PA)

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:57 PM

Funny you should mention Pop Tarts.  In my troop they have been banned as a camping trip menu item for many years - since before my time.

When I took over as SM the ASMs gave me the "banned food list". I asked who put it together. It was the adults. I went to the PLC and gave it to them. I said they could ratify it or tear it up. At first they tore it up and went back to poor menu choices. Within two camp outs they realized they needed better food. Rather than create a list of banned foods (adult solution) they created a series of meetings where nutritionists, dietitians and three chefs came it to talk about food choices and cooking. It became a regular thing they do once a year now.

Have had a need to "ban" anything since. It's been 9 years. Train them, trust them, let them lead. Worked great...and best of all the ASMs that supported banning learned something too. :)

#42 ItsBrian

ItsBrian

Its Who?

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 03:16 PM

When I took over as SM the ASMs gave me the "banned food list". I asked who put it together. It was the adults. I went to the PLC and gave it to them. I said they could ratify it or tear it up. At first they tore it up and went back to poor menu choices. Within two camp outs they realized they needed better food. Rather than create a list of banned foods (adult solution) they created a series of meetings where nutritionists, dietitians and three chefs came it to talk about food choices and cooking. It became a regular thing they do once a year now.
Have had a need to "ban" anything since. It's been 9 years. Train them, trust them, let them lead. Worked great...and best of all the ASMs that supported banning learned something too. :)

My troop doesn’t ban anything because they know what they should eat. Closest thing to banning someone was not making the same meal for three campouts in a row! Haha.

ItsBrian

#43 ItsBrian

ItsBrian

Its Who?

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 03:23 PM

UPDATE:

An ASM from my troop had explained to me that on a hot day that they had *stopped* selling ALL sugary drinks (soda, slushees, etc.) and only sold water.

ItsBrian

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users