Penn State Pro Wellness at Bashore Scout Reservation (PA)

Carrots for Candy; The Great Boy Scout Experiment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=140&v=PT3lDVZGX_U

...The role that PRO Wellness played with the Boy Scouts and nutritious modifications at camp was to look at camp menus and make them more healthful, Francis says. To keep things “child friendly,†the team started with small changes that significantly improved nutrition content.

The scouts were getting their food from two sources: the regular meals in the dining hall – and the snacks at the “trading post.†At meal time, it was easier to introduce changes that the scouts would accept, says Matt Adams, scout executive at the Pennsylvania Dutch Council.

“They had to go to the salad bar first and choose healthier options instead of hitting the line first with carbs – basically getting the rainbow on the plate first. It went really well,†Adams says. The salad bar has heartier, colorful food selections that includes eggs, chick peas and olives, plus fresh food daily from local markets.

Francis notes, “The menus of the past were carb-heavy, full of starches and sugars.â€

The PRO Wellness team made some sneaky swaps. For example, chicken nuggets were dipped in whole-grain batter. Dieticians also switched carb-laden mac-and-cheese with carrots and hummus. Baked chips replaced potato chips. Other new menu additions were low-fat dairy choices, 100 percent fruit juice, more fresh fruits and vegetables to replace canned and frozen. They also limited sugary desserts to one meal. “We were trying not to touch entrees too much. We still wanted them to eat and be fueled, and we wanted to make sure they weren’t hungry. But now they fill up on nutrient-rich items, which is what they need, as opposed to mac-and-cheese, which doesn’t sustain them,†Francis says.

The Trading Post Challenge

The team then faced a bigger challenge – the “trading post,†which is where the scouts know they can get their favorite candies and snacks, such as slushies,

Kraschnewski says. Even some adults pushed back against suggested food swaps, noting that “kids should be kids†at camp, she adds.

“Food is interesting, because people get passionate about food,†she says. “The slushie sales at the trading post were just crazy. We know they get too much sugar from them, and in the heat, this can result in abdominal pain and even dehydration. Short-term acute illnesses from not being hydrated are common at camp, so there were reasons beyond obesity prevention to make changes.â€

To help the scouts make healthier choices, the team tried some tricks used at grocery stores and convenience stores – they put the healthier options, such as fresh fruit cups, flavored waters, sunflower seeds, trail mix, and energy bars at eye level on the shelves. Candy and other snacks were still available, but the healthy options were positioned so that boys would consider them first.

It worked.

“Surprisingly, the sales went up as we introduced healthier options,†Adams says. “This year, we still have healthy options in the trading post, strategically placed to eye level. And unlike last year at meal time, we’re not phasing in whole grains – we’re just doing it from beginning, immediately. The food quality is good.†PRO Wellness is also working with Boy Scouts’ chair of its National Camp Accreditation Program to rewrite the nutrition standards for all of its camps.

“We know that policy affects practice. If we could improve the policy, the camps would be more likely to improve practices. We’re excited about that opportunity,†Francis says. “Along with that, we’re working on a tool kit for remote assistance.â€

Meanwhile, Kraschnewski says that while the program extends to other camping programs around the nation, she also hopes the scouts will take any newfound nutritious food or eating habit home to their families. And she hopes parents will be engaged with their children about their food choices at summer camp.

“Parents should be willing to ask questions of their camp. It’s their right to know what kids are exposed to,†Kraschnewski says. “And I’m so proud of our collaboration. This is an opportunity to have an impact on the Boy Scouts, who serve 2 million youth. Every new program is a start in the right direction.â€

source links

https://pennstatemedicine.org/2017/09/05/carrots-for-candy-the-great-boy-scout-experiment/#more-4579

http://news.psu.edu/story/480798/2017/09/05/carrots-candy-great-boy-scout-experiment

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Carrots for Candy; The Great Boy Scout Experiment   https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=140&v=PT3lDVZGX_U     ...The role that PRO Wellness played with the Boy Scouts and nutritious m

Again, it’s more for the education on it I believe. Yes, it “ won’t matter “, but can still put you at risk for heart disease, etc.

Same for my troop, we always make sure to follow the nutrition guidelines. It still may not be the best food for you to eat, but it’s netter then having a pound of bacon. Example, we do scrambled eg

If we have to have mess halls at summer camp then this is an improvement from the  prevalent "fill 'em up with whatever they will eat" .

No mention of food allergies or buy-in from troops whose trailers are often filled with snacks.  Never was keen on the trading post selling sugar products.

Fresh local produce instead of cans of salty processed food is welcome.

Glad to hear ItsBrian's troop had a good experience with Carrots for Candy.

My $0.02

Edited by RememberSchiff

I thought we taught  smart choices using MyPlate guidelines. If they learn to eat candy for dinner at home, they will learn to eat vegetables for dinner at camp. :)

No, the gov just spent tens of millions to switch from a pyramid to a plate because they thought the public was too stupid to understand the whole pyramid thing. Then someone took ice cream out of public schools. Nothing like Big Brother.

Scout Handbook 13th edition

Chapter 3 Fitness - page 81 Healthful Eating and Nutrition (MyPlate)

Chapter 10 Cooking - page 294 Menus (MyPlate again)

First Class Requirement

2a. Help plan a menu for one of the above campouts that includes at least one breakfast, one lunch, and one dinner, and that requires cooking at least two of the meals. Tell how the menu includes the foods from MyPlate or the current USDA nutritional model and how it meets nutritional needs for the planned activity or campout.

So if we are following the program, we are teaching scouts healthy food choices.

If we have to have mess halls at summer camp then this is an improvement from the  prevalent "fill 'em up with whatever they will eat" .

No mention of food allergies or buy-in from troops whose trailers are often filled with snacks.  Never was keen on the trading post selling sugar products.

Fresh local produce instead of cans of salty processed food is welcome.

Glad to hear ItsBrian's troop had a good experience with Carrots for Candy.

My $0.02

I don't mind if the trading post has sugar snacks, junk food, etc. as long as it's eaten in moderation. Some scouts yes, would buy the entire store. Instead, I maybe buy two slushies, and candy bar the whole week.

I agree with RememberSchiff. This program is consistent with the program of the BSA and even goes directly to one of the three aims (fitness).

This is not part of any scheme to take away people's personal liberty.  It is not "Big Brother" or the "deep state" or any of that.

I agree with RememberSchiff. This program is consistent with the program of the BSA and even goes directly to one of the three aims (fitness).

This is not part of any scheme to take away people's personal liberty.  It is not "Big Brother" or the "deep state" or any of that.

Forcing folks to the salad bar isn't a heavy-handed tactic? Riiiight.

Whatever happened to coon it and allow folks to choose? We ate poorly when we were kids and still hit the TP for candy. We weren't obese. What changed?

Forcing folks to the salad bar isn't a heavy-handed tactic? Riiiight.

Whatever happened to coon it and allow folks to choose? We ate poorly when we were kids and still hit the TP for candy. We weren't obese. What changed?

Scouts weren’t actually forced from what my troop had told me.

It's not summer camp that drives obesity.

Camp Anawana was on a hill side. Our camp site at the top, dining hall at the bottom, trading post just before dining hall. We slapped peanut butter and syrup on pancakes and it would have been burnt off by the time we marched back up to our campsite. Then would march down the hill to activities, maybe swing by the TP. Plus, we had a disabled kid, who we would rotate pulling a wagon.

My Sons' camp was not as vertical. Cooking was in camp, well-provisioned TP was close to our site. But camp Liberty activity areas were more spread out.  I'm pretty sure most boys there also burned more than they consumed.

Still, one week of camp won't drive change. It's the other 51 weeks of the year that need to be set right in order to put a dent in childhood obesity.

That said, good produce from the commissary can boost morale.

It's not summer camp that drives obesity.

Camp Anawana was on a hill side. Our camp site at the top, dining hall at the bottom, trading post just before dining hall. We slapped peanut butter and syrup on pancakes and it would have been burnt off by the time we marched back up to our campsite. Then would march down the hill to activities, maybe swing by the TP. Plus, we had a disabled kid, who we would rotate pulling a wagon.

My Sons' camp was not as vertical. Cooking was in camp, well-provisioned TP was close to our site. But camp Liberty activity areas were more spread out. I'm pretty sure most boys there also burned more than they consumed.

Still, one week of camp won't drive change. It's the other 51 weeks of the year that need to be set right in order to put a dent in childhood obesity.

That said, good produce from the commissary can boost morale.

The study they did didn’t say summer camps causes obesity, but it can add-on to a unhealthy lifestyle. I think it was to see if more people will prefer healthy snacks if they know and are educated better. Edited by ItsBrian

The study they did didn’t say summer camps causes obesity, but it can add-on to a unhealthy lifestyle. I think it was to see if more people will prefer healthy snacks if they know and are educated better.

If one burns 3000 calories a day, a ton of starch and carbs won't matter. Seriously? It's the fat adults who don't walk around (or can't) that get fat at camp.