• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There many positions in scouting. Here are a few. Senior Patrol Leader   Assistant Senior Patrol Leader Patrol Leader Troop Guide Quartermaster Scribe Den Chief Chaplain Aide Historian Ins

I know this is for qwazse, and I look forward to his opinion.   The problem with positions like Webmaster, librarian, historian and bugler is that many units have very few expectations for those pos

Truth? When I was a scout, librarian was harder than SPL. Lots of boys earning MBs, needing books, req changes left and right, plus volumes of Boys Life to bind, scouts forgetting to check-in and chec

Loomie, welcome to the forums!

POR's are always a hot topic around here, especially as they relate to advancement... but leaving that aside and just answering your question...

When you say "doubling up" I assume you mean having more than one Scout in a troop holding the same position. And I guess the real question is, which positions are "designed" to have more than one Scout in a troop in that position, at least in a larger troop. The ones I can think of off the bat are Instructor, ASPL and JASM.

Pretty much anything, assuming they have a responsibility. If you really need two buglers then why not. The point is the scout has responsibility and is fulfilling it.

BTW, APL is usually not a position that gets credit for rank advancement. But that depends on your troop.

Never deny the Scout responsibility.  Give him a job, help him define how to fulfill it, and STAND BACK.    The biggest problem I find with today's kids is a lack of imagination.  They WAIT for someone to tell them what to do. If you find a Scout who is bored and never seems to take any enthusiasm in the Troop/Patrol's events,  give him something to do.  Make him the Axe Yard Master.  Introduce him to a Cub Pack/Den that needs a Den Chief.   Ask him to plan a hike in his favorite park. He says he doesn't have one?  Help him find the maps on Google.  Or hand him the brochure!.  

Bugler takes a musician, but any school band member can handle it.  Ever hear "Call to the Colors on a Saxophone ?   It can be very nice.  Maybe not a drummer, but hey, the British Navy "Beat to Quarters" before Bugles were common.   Instructor...   Nature, Totin' Chip,  knots and rope, any boy would LOVE to be considered an expert.  Encourage that sort of thing with contests and Patrol Competition.   Make the acquaintance of the District Training CHair, see if he can recommend a Scouter well versed in any subject of interest.

Librarian/ Historian?  These can be a pencil whip PoR, or the Scout can show some creativity.  Pictures?  PowerPoint?  Video show?   Merit Badge Book collection promotion?   It will be what they make it, or what the SM expects.  What DOES the SM expect? 

There many positions in scouting. Here are a few.

Linked to descriptions of each.

Den Chiefs - If you have a Pack that is with your Troop you can easily have them take a training, and place a scout in each den. I was a den chief for a few years, it's not difficult, it's just like being an instructor or guide.

Asst. Senior Patrol Leaders - My troop doesn't personally do this, but an idea I've had, having the ASPLs have a certain job, such as one for training, fundraising, meetings, etc. Not sure if that's allowed, would check with your local council. 

Instructors, Guides, Historians, Webmasters, JASMS - You can easily have at least two-three each for these positions if you have a big troop. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

My troop has many scouts of first class or higher.  

what POR do other units double up on besides PL and APL?

None. We require the roles to be filled. No need to double up since we have plenty of scouts. If you don't have enough Scouts then doubling up may be necessary, though it may not be necessary.

None. We require the roles to be filled. No need to double up since we have plenty of scouts. If you don't have enough Scouts then doubling up may be necessary, though it may not be necessary.

I'm pretty sure Loomie is talking about the other kind of "doubling up." He's not talking about multiple jobs per person, he's talking about multiple persons in certain jobs.

I'm pretty sure Loomie is talking about the other kind of "doubling up." He's not talking about multiple jobs per person, he's talking about multiple persons in certain jobs.

Yeah, he's talking about trying to have every First Class+ in a job, from what I understand.

We have a volunteer who is upset because the same people appear to get elected SPL and PLs. He wants to appoint all positions.  IT DOES NOT WORK! (emphasis).  Some Scouts who are appointed have no interest in the POR and could care less. Some Scouts who are interested, but do not have the knowledge, skills or abilities to do it. Other Scouts, seeing this then act indifferent or with disrespect towards them. Long story short, the troop slowly dies.

I've seen one troop do just that. As soon as the new SM started appointing PLs and the SPL so that "everyone gets a chance,"

the troop started losing members to other troops, or outright quitting.

We have a volunteer who is upset because the same people appear to get elected SPL and PLs. He wants to appoint all positions. IT DOES NOT WORK! (emphasis). Some Scouts who are appointed have no interest in the POR and could care less. Some Scouts who are interested, but do not have the knowledge, skills or abilities to do it. Other Scouts, seeing this then act indifferent or with disrespect towards them. Long story short, the troop slowly dies.

I've seen one troop do just that. As soon as the new SM started appointing PLs and the SPL so that "everyone gets a chance,"

the troop started losing members to other troops, or outright quitting.

That’s just not right. This is my second time as SPL but that’s because I was elected nobody else wanted to be it. Junior patrol PL has been elected twice, because they know he’s the best choice. Edited by ItsBrian
  • Upvote 1

Thanks everyone!  I was just named the new Scout Master and I'm looking to do a course correction on some of our units past actions.

I do in fact mean every first class up having a job, not a scout holding multiple jobs.

I appreciate the advice, I'll put it to good use. 

Junior patrol PL has been elected twice, because they know he’s the best choice.

EXACTLY! The Scouts know who do the jobs and who don't better than the adults do.  Me personally, I wish the troop my boys are in would allow reelections.  After 6 months, they have to step down and either A) run for a different position or B) wait until the next election to get back in.