• 3 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:43 AM

https://www.buzzfeed...dlGq#.nd76OBx7P

#2 Eagle1993

Eagle1993

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:19 AM

I thought the news report out of Iowa was a much better tactic for GSUSA. This letter seems defensive and petty. I don't think this will go over well as it appears GSUSA wants to limit choice for girls. That is too bad because I was hoping GSUSA would make the necessary changes to allow it to be on par with the BSA program... given this letter I don't think that will occur.

#3 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6831 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:03 AM

At least GS/USA is capable of calling out "family accessible" for the tripe that it is.

#4 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 3001 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:31 AM

@kscouter thanks for that link

"Through various means we have learned that BSA is very seriously considering opening their programs to girls and we have made repeated efforts to engage with them and talk about the implications,"

Well at least someone high up in Scouting  is listening to our comments.  :unsure:

#5 scoutldr

scoutldr

• Members
  • 4470 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:05 AM

I thought that in the current PC environment, we were not allowed to assume who is male and who is female, and indeed gender can change at the whim of the owner of the X/Y chromosomes or their parent(s)?

#6 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6831 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

BTW, @kscouter, welcome to the forums!

#7 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6313 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:44 AM

I am moving this to Issues and Politics - where this same letter is being discussed in another thread.

#8 Eagle1993

Eagle1993

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:53 AM

Washington Post now running with this with headline "Scout Wars...". Not much info beyond buzzfeed but did have some more comments about GSUSA comments and indicated they also have seen a major membership drop.

https://www.washingt...m=.c3679e002e2e

#9 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1627 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:01 AM

Cookie Mafia has to protect it's turf. I'm not sure why the Girl Scouts is concerned, the type of girl who would want to be involved with Boy Scouts is not the same demographic of girls who enjoy Girl Scouts. The day the Boy Scouts program looks like the Girls Scouts program is the day I think 99% of this forum throws in the towel.... 

#10 fred johnson

fred johnson

• Members
  • 1618 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:05 AM

It's funny how people flip flop and then reverse accusations that could easily be said about the speaker.  For decades, GSUSA has allowed GSUSA leader to speak badly about BSA being stuck in the past and have not wanted to coordinate camps, resources or program.  GSUSA has represented themselves as more current and progressive and not discriminatory.  I remember GSUSA paid employees commenting about BSA and how BSA was discriminatory because of membership orientation policies ... unlike GSUSA which was more accepting.   

The GSUSA leader accuses BSA of allowing derisive and bad mouthing of the girl scout program by Boy Scout leaders when I've heard the reverse.  For decades, I've heard GSUSA leaders talk about BSA and that GSUSA is more progressive and not discriminatory.  

The point is to be current and representing society today, organizations need to be more open and that does mean co-ed.  If a church wants to charter a single-gender unit, fine.  That's their unit membership choice.  But BSA as an organization needs to focus on program and structure and not get stuck on the more fluid dynamics of the times. 

#11 Hawkwin

Hawkwin

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

Cookie Mafia has to protect it's turf. I'm not sure why the Girl Scouts is concerned, the type of girl who would want to be involved with Boy Scouts is not the same demographic of girls who enjoy Girl Scouts. The day the Boy Scouts program looks like the Girls Scouts program is the day I think 99% of this forum throws in the towel.... 

This issue is that currently, there is NO ALTERNATIVE for girls that would prefer BS activities so they end up in GS. Once BS opens that door more than Venturing, GS will no longer have their exclusivity. Girls will be free to join the program that interests them (and their parents) the most. As a parent of a GS and a BS, my anecdotal experience is that GS are going to lose quite a few girls that want to join their brother's organization.

#12 fred johnson

fred johnson

• Members
  • 1618 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

The day the Boy Scouts program looks like the Girls Scouts program is the day I think 99% of this forum throws in the towel.... 

I always thought the "Cub Scout" program resembled the Girl Scout program.  Seriously.  Crafts.  Go-see-its.  Minor camping.  

#13 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12443 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:07 AM

It's interesting in the letter, the BSA spokesman said no decisions have been made yet, but that's not the scuttlebutt I've been hearing among the council brass.  So much for transparency and honesty.

#14 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

Cubs is close now.

The way some units run their programs I'd say they're on the path to Girl Scouts now.

Only a matter of time.

#15 Eagle1993

Eagle1993

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:07 AM

@Stosh. I was told the same... decision made, "local option". I asked when and was told they are working on logistics and it wasn't clear how they would handle the Boy Scout plan. I pressed a bit and was told they were looking at recharter time Jan 2018. Apparently there was a vote on white boards at the national meeting by SEs and >70% voted yes immediately pursue this. Who knows.. it wasn't the official statement but I trust the source.

#16 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

@Stosh. I was told the same... decision made, "local option". I asked when and was told they are working on logistics and it wasn't clear how they would handle the Boy Scout plan. I pressed a bit and was told they were looking at recharter time Jan 2018. Apparently there was a vote on white boards at the national meeting by SEs and >70% voted yes immediately pursue this. Who knows.. it wasn't the official statement but I trust the source.

Same. They didn't give much detail. Very vague. The mantra of "family camping" was used by council like they were encoding Ghandi or something. In our council facilities are a big issue and they clearly overlooked (and underestimated) the knowledge of the unit level folks. The vast majority felt they were being VERY condescending and dismissive. After all we live the program. Most of council staff merely work at it.

#17 walk in the woods

walk in the woods

• Members
  • 783 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 12:29 PM

Well, if the BSA wants to partner with another organization for girls programs, especially in the Boy Scout age range, with award programs similar to Eagle, it would appear we have an opening for a new partner. :).

#18 John-in-KC

John-in-KC

Moderator and nice guy

• Moderators
  • 6825 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:07 PM

WaPo is doing nothing more than re-writing buzzfeed.  Their article adds nothing of real value.

Washington Post now running with this with headline "Scout Wars...". Not much info beyond buzzfeed but did have some more comments about GSUSA comments and indicated they also have seen a major membership drop.

Edited by John-in-KC, 23 August 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#19 John-in-KC

John-in-KC

Moderator and nice guy

• Moderators
  • 6825 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

I think Dr Hannan is right though, this is the beginning of an attempt by BSA to take over GSUSA, using a bottom-up (get the members) approach.

#20 fred johnson

fred johnson

• Members
  • 1618 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

BSA is not trying to take over GSUSA.  BSA has had a huge membership drop and they are competing with many other organizations for participants.  We are lucky that given the huge membership drop that 50% of the camps have not closed.  If it continues, BSA won't be able to afford it's own infrastructure.

GSUSA and BSA have never had a healthy relationship and have never been interested in working together.  GSUSA leaders (professional and volunteers) for a long time have snubbed BSA leaders as participating in a out-of-date, discriminatory program.  I find the GSUSA letter to be protesting a bit too much and definitely re-writing history.  

BSA has a good program.  Open it up as co-ed and they will get more actual members in the long run.

Edited by fred johnson, 23 August 2017 - 02:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users