• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2822 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

Can be earned by Cubs, Boy Scouts, Venturers.

More info:  http://www.scouting....7.aspx#weblinks

eclipse_logo.png

#2 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

part Latino, part Scottish ... get it?

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:31 PM

I received my order in the mail Saturday morning; it's a nice patch that I'm sure the boys will love. I was told they haven't made very many compared to other event patches, so I am sure in a few years it will be very popular with collectors. A fun patch for an exciting event!

There is no such word as "Webelo." 

The only proper singular of Webelos Scouts is ... WEBELOS SCOUT!  

#3 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1348 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

...and our kids are in school.

#4 Ankylus

Ankylus

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:31 AM

We aren't actually meeting quite yet, we are waiting for the school years to start. If I had had enough warning, I might have tried to do something with it.  But thanks for posting, perhaps next time we can look for it earlier.

#5 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

• Moderators
  • 2822 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

We aren't actually meeting quite yet, we are waiting for the school years to start. If I had had enough warning, I might have tried to do something with it.  But thanks for posting, perhaps next time we can look for it earlier.

"...the next total eclipse for North America will come on April 8, 2024. "

http://earthsky.org/...lipse-in-the-us

#6 mashmaster

mashmaster

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:20 AM

Bummer you just found out, it was on the bryan scouting log for a bit now.  If you don't subscribe to that, I suggest you do.  It is an interesting blog and useful as well.

If you go here: https://blog.scoutin...-eclipse-patch/you can subscribe to the blog

#7 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1348 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

BSA posted a lot on Twitter and FB as far back as April. Follow those pages and you'll see stuff like this.

#8 Ankylus

Ankylus

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:03 PM

BSA posted a lot on Twitter and FB as far back as April. Follow those pages and you'll see stuff like this.

Thank you. I don't really do either of those, but I do have accounts. Guess I just need to look.

#9 Ankylus

Ankylus

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:04 PM

Bummer you just found out, it was on the bryan scouting log for a bit now.  If you don't subscribe to that, I suggest you do.  It is an interesting blog and useful as well.

If you go here: https://blog.scoutin...-eclipse-patch/you can subscribe to the blog

I occasionally check the blog, but don't recall seeing that one. Thank you.

#10 Ankylus

Ankylus

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:08 PM

"...the next total eclipse for North America will come on April 8, 2024. "

http://earthsky.org/...lipse-in-the-us

Not worthy of any further response.

#11 mashmaster

mashmaster

• Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:26 PM

I occasionally check the blog, but don't recall seeing that one. Thank you.

You are welcome, you might check with your council.  Our council is putting on a council wide event on Monday for the eclipse. 

Good luck

#12 jeanvaljean

jeanvaljean

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:40 AM

would the scout's store have it in hand next week, or orders should have been made earlier? 

#13 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

• Moderators
  • 2822 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:55 AM

Scout Troop 521 will head to Wyoming to catch a glimpse of the rare event.

Eight years ago, Boy Scout Sam Kimpton and his father, Peter Kimpton, were reading an astronomy book and learned that the United State was due for a solar eclipse.

Peter Kimpton promised his son that they would make the trip to see the eclipse.

"The prospect that I even thought as a kid, like, 'Oh, hey, look. It's a good idea,'" Sam Kimpton said. "But now, thinking of it, it's possible. Why shouldn't we do it?"

The two are heading to Yellowstone National Park, but they're not going alone. Seven boys and 11 adults from Troop 521 are also taking the trek west.

"We've aligned the eclipse trip along with a backpacking adventure through Yellowstone National Park," Peter Kimpton said.

Check video

http://www.wmur.com/...clipse/12034272

#14 Cleveland Rocks

Cleveland Rocks

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:25 PM

would the scout's store have it in hand next week, or orders should have been made earlier? 

Our Scout store has a sign that says preorders for the patch need to do so by the 24th. They're not a national scout store, so I don't know if that makes a difference.

#15 HelpfulTracks

HelpfulTracks

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:04 PM

We are very fortunate in my council, the Great Smoky Mountain Council. Our summer camp is almost dead center of the path of totality. I think we are only 3-4 second shy of the maximum length of time for totality in our area.

The Camp is completely booked and the council has activities planned. The OA will be providing service. Most local schools are out. We have troops from far away councils coming in and making a weekend of it, complete with shooting sports, opening the water front and I even believe the COPE course.

The downside is I was told the state EMA is expecting 2.4 million vehicles on I-40 Monday.

I am working the event, and it looks like we will have around 800 people on hand. Everyone will be gathering at a large field we call the Pinnacle . I will report on how well it went.....if I survive.

#16 Tampa Turtle

Tampa Turtle

• Members
  • 2505 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

We are at .82 but it was still pretty cool at 1/3rd a few minutes ago.

#17 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6612 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:21 PM

Hitched a ride in to the office with the 'scope today. Got some good projections of 80% both from the sight scope and the main reflector. When it wasn't hazy, I saw some sunspots rolling around the crescent. (Anyone in parts north of the path would have seen it.) I couple of strangers stopped and looked at my rig. Worth the price of admission.

Bonus: I volunteered Son #1 to come in and test the new protocol my colleagues our developing, so the 'scope has a ride home!

#18 HelpfulTracks

HelpfulTracks

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 06:34 PM

The show was awesome. We had 2:32 of totality. Crystal clear skies. Pictures do not do it justice. Things went much smoother than expected and we had about 750 in attendance. Scouts from as far away as NJ and Michigan were on hand. My son and I worked the event and I was worried that we would not make it to the Pinnacle in time to join the rest of our family. But everyone headed up from the events early so there was no problem. Looking at a black moon over the sun was kind of surreal, the 360 sunset was amazing. The light just prior to and after the eclipse was kind of strange, and hard to explain. We saw the beads too, but not the shadow snakes, not sure why.

It was an incredible family experience as I watched it with my wife, son and daughter.

The traffic afterwords was what we expected, a nightmare. It took 3 hours to cover what we normally do in 1 hour.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq