Most new Scoutmasters start with idealism and a vision. The idealism blinds them from outside advice until experience beats them up a little. Good ASMs stand back in the shadows waiting for a quiet moment to ask if they could help. If you see the SM getting overwhelmed in a situation, volunteer to take a task to lesson the chaos to give him room to think. Don't add a new idea to the confusion. ASMs help the SM melt their idealism into wisdom without changing their vision.

Barry

• Upvote 2

Most new Scoutmasters start with idealism and a vision. The idealism blinds them from outside advice until experience beats them up a little. Good ASMs stand back in the shadows waiting for a quiet moment to ask if they could help. If you see the SM getting overwhelmed in a situation, volunteer to take a task to lesson the chaos to give him room to think. Don't add a new idea to the confusion. ASMs help the SM melt their idealism into wisdom without changing their vision.

Barry

I would argue a good SM meets with his PLC and his ASMs first, to see if his idealism matches the direction the boys want to go AND what may have been tried before and what hasn't worked.

Walking in with ideas is fine. Walking in and not testing your ideas against what the experts want, or have experienced, can put the program at a disadvantage in the name of getting the SM his "experience". I think there's a way to do both if the incoming SM can put his ego aside and seek advice from those who know better.

I would argue a good SM meets with his PLC and his ASMs first, to see if his idealism matches the direction the boys want to go AND what may have been tried before and what hasn't worked.

Walking in with ideas is fine. Walking in and not testing your ideas against what the experts want, or have experienced, can put the program at a disadvantage in the name of getting the SM his "experience". I think there's a way to do both if the incoming SM can put his ego aside and seek advice from those who know better.

Your reply is complicated to my simplistic explanation. I would assume that the new SM has bought into the program in the OPs situation and has already developed some relationship with the PLC.

However, this is where you and I differ in the program. I believe the Troop is an adult program used to develop boys into moral decision making adults. The adult leaders (usually the SM) have the vision for how the program works in developing the scouts into moral decision makers. Not the scouts. 

That being said, in our troop SM discusses the vision, mission, aims, methods, and scouting values for the program with each new PLC. Everyone knows whats going on and why and everyone is invited to request a change if the SM cannot justify how each part of the program works toward the goal. 

Barry

Edited by Eagledad

However, this is where you and I differ in the program. I believe the Troop is an adult program used to develop boys into moral decision making adults. The adult leaders (usually the SM) have the vision for how the program works in developing the scouts into moral decision makers. Not the scouts. 

Actually, Barry, we agree here too. My position is that the SM meets with all stakeholders to get their feedback and ideas. He may have a vision and that's great. But no successful coach or CEO enters a new role without checking out the pulse of the organization from all angles. It clears up preconceived notions and may actually shed some light or provide BETTER ideas.

Actually, Barry, we agree here too. My position is that the SM meets with all stakeholders to get their feedback and ideas. He may have a vision and that's great. But no successful coach or CEO enters a new role without checking out the pulse of the organization from all angles. It clears up preconceived notions and may actually shed some light or provide BETTER ideas.

Ah, I see.

Barry

When we got a new scoutmaster, I bought the two volume set of the 1940 Scoutmasters Handbook, written by Green Bar Bill.  I told him that a lot of the program had changed, but the stuff in the first volume, especially the four chapters on the Patrol Method, were golden.  I considered a good foundation in the philosophy of the Patrol Method to be invaluable to any SM.  Otherwise, I don't think the current literature would give him the appreciation of this almost unique feature of the Scouting program.

3rd Edition SM handbook is EXCELLENT!!!!! I also highlyrecommend it.

Just don't lend ithem out. I did to a new SM starting a new troop. Troop folded and I never got my books back.

• Upvote 1

Never could figure out what this "vision" thing is.  BSA sets that up in the program.  Maybe it has something to do with adult directives.  Sure would like to know how this is being defined by the various members.

• 1 year later...

I am stepping down to start a new troop. I have been SM for over 2 1/2 years and the longest running SM for some time. There are severe issues with TC and brother is going to step up to be SM. Im no longer wanted by TC even though nothing has been actually stated. Walls have been put in place to block troop progress that took 2 years to make. Scouts notice it and I felt it was time to move on, but still needed to serve the youth of the Community.

Welcome to the forum, @2dGenSM. It sounds like a difficult situation. Sounds like you put your heart into it and there's not much support.

To be honest, if you were the longest running SM in some time at 2 1/2 years then I have a hunch something else is missing. I mean, why do SMs get burned out so quickly? Is this why you're moving on to another troop?

2 hours ago, 2dGenSM said:

I am stepping down to start a new troop. I have been SM for over 2 1/2 years and the longest running SM for some time. There are severe issues with TC and brother is going to step up to be SM. Im no longer wanted by TC even though nothing has been actually stated. Walls have been put in place to block troop progress that took 2 years to make. Scouts notice it and I felt it was time to move on, but still needed to serve the youth of the Community.

Wishing you the best.  I hope you've had good experiences with the scouts.  

As for troop committees, it's just like working with other adults.  Sometimes it works out well.  Sometimes not.  Sadly, troop committees are strange beasts filled with well meaning, highly invested people.  Each with their own pasts and own experiences and different training.  Finding the right balance between scoutmaster and committee is very very hard.