Youth Required to Take YPT?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 4CouncilsScouter

4CouncilsScouter

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:00 AM

Over the last few years, I've seen more councils in my local area having youth (under 18) take YPT training. For instance:

• At a weekend training for patrol leaders, I was talking to a youth staff member who told me that all event staff were required to take YPT training.
  • The council west of me required its NYLT participants take Venturing YPT training for a previous course and is discussing mandating this for future courses.

Not sure if this has been a growing trend or policy I've missed somewhere. I'm not opposed to making youth in potentially liable positions be aware of youth protection policies, but I'm wondering where is the line in all of this?

#2 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12172 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 06:15 AM

This might be in prep for "family" programming change.  DC's working with family cubs will need the training.  Same for PL's who will have "family" in their patrol. We can't be having the kinds of incidents mentioned at Jambo happening in our Cub and Scout programs on a regular basis.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#3 T2Eagle

T2Eagle

• Members
  • 697 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:51 AM

Nothing to do with any programming change. YPT was required for Jamboree at least as far back as 2010. Our NYLT training has also included it at least that long ago.

#4 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12172 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 08:33 AM

Hmmm.... some get the training, others don't, but the punishment is doled out equally???  That make sense.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#5 Ankylus

Ankylus

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:06 PM

All our youth attending Philmont this year were required to take YPT. I think that is a Philmont requirement, but I am not sure. 

We "require" all our youth in senior leadership positions to take YPT, mostly to protect themselves when dealing with younger scouts.

I am not aware of a general requirement for all scouts to take YPT. I think it's a good idea, however, for self-protection.

#6 John-in-KC

John-in-KC

Moderator and nice guy

• Moderators
  • 6789 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

Remember, there is a portion of the Boy Scout Handbook covering youth protection for youth.  It's a joining requirement for all levels.

For Venturing, there is actual YP training for youth.

I would hope @RichardB ourlon is working on separate YP training for youth that youth leaders can present.

#7 perdidochas

perdidochas

• Members
  • 2186 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:29 PM

Over the last few years, I've seen more councils in my local area having youth (under 18) take YPT training. For instance:

• At a weekend training for patrol leaders, I was talking to a youth staff member who told me that all event staff were required to take YPT training.
  • The council west of me required its NYLT participants take Venturing YPT training for a previous course and is discussing mandating this for future courses.

Not sure if this has been a growing trend or policy I've missed somewhere. I'm not opposed to making youth in potentially liable positions be aware of youth protection policies, but I'm wondering where is the line in all of this?

My sons had to take YPT when they were counselors at summer camp. Basically speaking, they were told that since they were on salary, they  had to go  by adult rules in terms of Scouts, but were still Scouts to the adults on staff.  I think it's a good idea. The older boys should know the general YPT rules.  

Edited by perdidochas, 17 August 2017 - 03:30 PM.

#8 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 12172 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:32 PM

And we pick up speed on the slippery slope.... :)  ALL DC's required to take YPT

Stosh

#9 HelpfulTracks

HelpfulTracks

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:58 PM

YPT was not a requirement for Boy Scouts for Jamboree in 2017 by National. Nor is it a National requirement for NYLT. I have not seen any literature that any High Adventure base requires it for Boy Scouts either, but it may exist. All of the above could have been required by specific councils I would imagine.

Seems odd that youth would be required to take YPT for any reason. I do think it is a good idea that they understand it however, both for the scouts and the adults protection.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq