• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 3003 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 05:58 AM

“I’m definitely going to fight for everything." Because no one climbs from Cub Scout to Eagle Scout, a journey of about a dozen years in his case, by accident. It requires a remarkable commitment.  "When I was growing up, I thought I wouldn’t finish because it was just so long and you had to do so much. But my grandma and my auntie wanted me to finish, and I did it. It taught me so much, like how to make something out of nothing.”

A.J.Rose 6-foot-1, 212-pound redshirt freshman running back for the Kentucky Wildcats

https://www.seccount...snell-backfield

#2 Ankylus

Ankylus

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 03:11 PM

Very nice. And eloquently said. Thank you for posting.

Surprised by the whole, "I had to stay 2 nights alone in the woods for my final test for Eagle" thing, though.

Edited by Ankylus, 10 August 2017 - 03:13 PM.

#3 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 3003 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:15 AM

Rose surveys his surroundings and adapts accordingly. That was one of his final tests to achieve Eagle Scout status: two days alone in the woods with only a water bottle, rope and knife. It took hours to snag his first meal.

“You had to be patient,” Rose said. “If you didn’t figure out how to catch a fish, you weren’t going to eat.”

Yes, there may have been a misunderstanding by the reporter, though I know adults in some units teach more in-depth survival such as water collection, tracking, snare building.

As I have said before, I favor a solo Eagle trek over an Eagle project.

Edited by RememberSchiff, 11 August 2017 - 07:24 AM.

#4 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6837 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

... Yes, there may have been a misunderstanding by the reporter, though I know adults in some units teach more in-depth survival such as water collection, tracking, snare building.

As I have said before, I favor a solo Eagle trek over an Eagle project.

I suspect wilderness survival was one of his electives. Or, maybe he was just short on nights for Camping MB, and his counselor threw down a challenge. Maybe he decided to challenge himself. We adults can't add to the requirements, but if a boy says, "I want to do X before making rank," who's gonna stop him?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eagle scout, football

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users