Survey on girls just received

A little bit ago I received a survey asking very specific questions about girls in the program.  They first wanted to know my current status, was I Eagle, and level if any in OA.  General questions on current offering being adaptable to girls at various ages.  Then asked if girls should be allowed, within the same requirements, to earn Eagle and be in OA.  It was short and basically to the point.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just got my survey. Speaking as a commie pinko proud to be a Liberal scouter EVEN I found it was one the most dishonest pre-loaded surveys corralling takers to a pre-destination. I wonder what was t

The challenge is that not every council is informing folks about their meetings. My council put a fast blurb on one district's facebook page. It's not on the district calendar, no emails were sent out

Asked my son and he says he doesn't care about girls in scouting. The only thing he complains about is youth who use filthy language and having to get up so early for scouting events. I myself will

Did you notice the survey didn't have a "Don't mess with what we got." option?  That way one knows it's a biased survey.  No matter what the statistics show, the leave it alone numbers will never show up.

That's how one gets the statistic that 100% of the people surveyed said that some sort of program for girls is wanted in the organization.

Edited by Stosh
  • Upvote 1

Actually Stosh, it did have something along that line as a couple of the choices.  I suppose I should have copied the survey, as it is now gone, and I am not sure I can pull it up again.  But, the last few surveys they have sent me have been fairly wide in the response capability.  Now whether or not they actually look at the responses not in their preference, I have no idea.  At least they appear to be getting a bit in front of the snow ball, rather than waiting for it to just pick them up as it rolls full speed to the final drop off or dead end.

I took the survey. If they follow the same path they have with other surveys, they will ignore what the majority wants.

And in all honesty, what it looks like they want to do will not work as I posted in the other thread.

• Upvote 1

I got the same survey. You had to answer a specific way to get to give your opinion on all the questions, otherwise it cut off early. You could send the survey to others so it's already made its way to a rather large group of local scouters already prepared to act against this stupid idea. They wanted one response, they got 300.

When I did the survey, i answered from the heart: No to coed Scouting; let the girls fix the problems with the GSUSA.

However, I am a realist. The writing is on the wall. The CSE has been constantly talking about "Families" involved in Scouting. Current BSA imagery has contained girls in it, and Bryan's Blog did an article on an all girl Venturing Crew. There is talk of a revised YPT, and there is both external and internal pressure for change. Then there are those who are apathetic and it won't matter to them which way the decision goes.

I have accepted that girls are going to be allowed in the BSA.

My purpose now is this: what will be the best decision for the current boys in the program, and any girls who join. IMHO, a "separate but equal" program, either with a partnership with an existing organization or one created from scratch will not work. As has been mentioned, financial reasons, emotional reasons, and practical reasons do not make this a viable option. If the BSA goes this route, it will leave a smoldering fire that will reignite a few years down the road, and continue causing problems for the BSA. The only viable answer I see is the UK model of having COs decide if they want All Male, All Female, or coed.

As for me, I am here for my sons. If they stay with a coed unit, as I have been told the troop will integrate if a "separate but equal" program is created, I will stay, If they want an all male troop, and I know there will be at least one in my neck of the woods, I go with them. If they wan tto drop and join Trails Life, I with them.  Once they leave Scouting, I do not know what I will do. 

I didn't like the fact that you have to give your name to take the survey, but when I decided to proceed anyway, I realized that I wasn't actually taking the survey at that time, but merely requesting a survey. I received the link the next day (today) and the survey doesn't ask for your name. So there is at least a possibility that your name isn't connected to your answers. That is an issue for some people but not for others.

I suspect that when you give your name, it is checked against BSA records to make sure you are a registered member before they send you the link to the survey, which I guess is reasonable.

I found the survey reasonably fair and evenhanded. It WAS possible to oppose any change, by answering "strongly oppose" (or whatever it was) to two different questions - one about the Cub Scout level and the other about the Boy-Scout-age level. The one criticism I would have is that the options for Cub Scouts were all packaged together, so (for example) you couldn't support all-girl packs while opposing coed packs (with single-gender dens). You had to either support both or oppose both. The Boy-Scout-age issue was in a separate question.

The full survey had 35 questions. If you didn't get all of them it's because you answered a few questions that directed you to a different outcome.

Why am I not surprised. I don't remember how many I has, but it wasn't that number.