Boy Scout Program for Adults Opening Up

I'd join just for the Social Dynamo merit badge!   :rolleyes:

I'm a little curious about "Lock Picker."

"Gentleman Scholar" sounds good - but again, mainly for the boys in the troop, not me.  Some of our boys are scholars, although you wouldn't know it from the complete lack of any of them ever earning Scholarship MB even though it would be a snap.  The "gentleman" part could use some work sometimes.

I'm a little curious about "Lock Picker."

"Gentleman Scholar" sounds good - but again, mainly for the boys in the troop, not me.  Some of our boys are scholars, although you wouldn't know it from the complete lack of any of them ever earning Scholarship MB even though it would be a snap.  The "gentleman" part could use some work sometimes.

Lock picks don't wear a badge announcing their skill. (Not that I'd know for certain. ;) )

Yeah, Son #1 and his posse were all scholar athletes. They didn't bother to earn Scholarship or Athletics.

• Upvote 1

...I always thought that if I did it I'd probably turn away any adult who wanted to join without their own kids. There's already enough work to do without needing to be concerned with an adult who wants to relive their youth. Not sure if I would have even been able to do that, or if it would have even happened, but I never had the need to find out. 

While I'd be cautious after what I've seen happen once, I wouldn't  outright turn them down. Besides the troop I grew up in, I was an ASM in 2 other troops before oldest was even born. While I am a Scouting addict :)  I wanted to give back.

• Upvote 1

While I'd be cautious after what I've seen happen once, I wouldn't  outright turn them down. Besides the troop I grew up in, I was an ASM in 2 other troops before oldest was even born. While I am a Scouting addict :)  I wanted to give back.

Fair point, but in the particular case I mentioned I think it could have been a different story. Wanting to help is great, but people wanting to just have a scouting experience for themselves as adults when you're trying to get a new unit off the ground is just more work for leadership. I don't know if it would have even come up, but if it had, I would have definitely been at least a little annoyed to have to deal with any adults just hanging around to relive their childhood. 

• Upvote 1

I relive my childhood every day.  Just ask my wife, she'll fill you in.  But about 95% of that is OUTSIDE the BSA program.  That 5% is where I let my hair down and relax from being a scout leader, usually around the dying embers of a campfire after the boys have gone back to bed.  I've stared into hundreds of campfires and they all look like they did when I was a kid.  Those memories are a nice place to visit, but one can't go back and live there, life has moved on.

• Upvote 1

I thought ths might make for some interesting, and non-controversial, discussion topic. 

A website "The Art of Manliness"  is launching a new program "The Strenuous Life", which is basically a Boy Scout Program for adults.  It will include a handbook and even merit badges.  I was wondering what everyone this of the idea.  Attached is a link to the website:

https://strenuouslife.co/

Please note that I am not endorsing the program, and I have concerns about some of the ideas and information on "The Art of Manliness" website.  However, I would be curious to know what everyone thinks.

[deleted to keep from being I&P] 

Edited by Gwaihir