Best Ship - Ship 100 SSS Dominion

img_0862.jpg?w=302&h=151

The Sea Scouts program recently bestowed its 15th annual Sea Scout National Flagship Award to the Sea Scout Ship 100, SSS Dominion, of Manassas, Va.

Sea Scouts is a specialized program within the Boy Scouts of America that is intended to improve youth boating skills with on-water practice, outdoor, social and service experiences and boost knowledge of maritime heritage. There are about 6,500 participants, about one-third of whom are female, on 550 vessels nationwide.

The flagship award was created by BoatUS in 2002 to mark the 90th anniversary of Sea Scouts. It recognizes excellence in program quality, youth achievement and adult commitment.

Chartered by the Freedom Museum (an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution) in Manassas, SSS Dominion, was formed in 2012 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the Sea Scout program. With 20 active scouts, SSS Dominion maintains an active and diverse program around the western suburbs of Washington, D.C.

The group meets weekly at Manassas Airport or Dominion Boathouse where it stores its small boats and gear and runs a fleet of seven boats from 22 to 46 feet. Members have sailed the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay, completed leadership programs, hosted American Heart Association First Aid and CPR courses and participated in food drives in the local area.

source

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/2017/07/sea-scouts-present-national-flagship-award/

Check out their photo gallery

https://bsaship100.shutterfly.com/

Scout Salute

Props to ship 100. Huzzah!

Instead of JTE, I'd love to see an annual "best troop in the nation".

In my fantasy world, the national award would start with a camp or HA base putting in your nomination on an annual basis. It could be for your troops conduct on weekend activities as well as long term activities. That creates the pool. Repeated annual nominations of your unit increases the probability of further review by an area or national team of scouts and scouters -- youth and adult commissioners, if you will.

But then someone would complain that every troop should get a trophy.

Now that I think of it. Summer camp used to have a "best campsite inspection" award. The prize itself amounted to a decorated tin can ... I can barely picture it. But, I was so proud when our troop earned it while I was SPL. Now it's just if your troop's site is spotless the first round of departure day inspections, you get to be first in the checkout line. Not the same feel.

This is an award from BoatUs , a marine services company and not the BSA. Unit competition seems to be disappearing from BSA culture. Remember when camporees had patrol competitions instead of merit badge classes?

Maybe a third party, say Bass Pro or Vista Outdoors, will sponsor a Best Troop award nationwide.

My $0.02

Edited by RememberSchiff

Unfortunately these awards boil themselves down into political photo ops.  The troop that most deserves it will not enter the competition, they are too busy doing real scouting.