No districts or roundtables

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2928 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

From a draft Table of organization I have seen change is coming to my older council in a BIG way.

No districts.  Organization is by program: cubs, Scouts, and "Teen Scouting."  The council now stretches over 100 miles end to end.

No roundtables.  The decision-meister has decided all could be learned at a RT can be learned on line.  Good thing given that centrally-located meetings would be a two-hour round trip away - in decent weather - now that districts are going away.

Also titles unknown to the Guide for Insignia - "Deputy Commissioners"

No FOS.  Massive emphasis on selling popcorn.

All to be announced shortly after district kickoffs.   :rolleyes:

Effective when ?

Edited by TAHAWK, 26 July 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#2 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 3001 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:17 PM

How does Council plan to do EBOR's?

Edited by RememberSchiff, 26 July 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#3 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2928 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

The Deputy Council Commissioner, Boy Scouting Program Support, has an Assistant Council Commissioner, Advancement.

Districts always acted by delegated authority from Councils.  Districts are optional in the Bylaws ("may")

There is also an ACC "Boy Scout Packs."  Probably just a mistake.

No Wood Badge Coordinator listed.

Edited by TAHAWK, 26 July 2017 - 02:39 PM.

#4 desertrat77

desertrat77

• Members
  • 2260 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

Trial run or are they the first to enact a BSA-wide change?

#5 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 4054 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 06:09 PM

Sounds like a new manager wants his fiefdom to be operated his way, make his mark, leave his org in his image.  

Loss of face to face?  How is IOLS , WB, other training to be done?   Scouting is NOT an "online " activity.  It is an out in the woods activity, if you catch my drift.

I was a Deputy District Commissioner, a few years back, show you my patch if you like.   I was told it was a "specialized" Commish, mine was to be helping with new units, which I did.  Then I was "promoted" to Assistant  DC, and told the title of DDC was to be "retired" from the National lexicon.

Sorry for your angst, Tahawk.  Maybe they are trying to economize by eliminating underused DEs....   naw, couldn't happen.   The DEs will be made Assistant Chief Scout Executives, bet. 

Wait a bit.  They will feel the heat from the volunteers, the lack of "service" from the pro's and presto !  Eastern Service Area, Western Service Area, River Bend Service Area.....

See you on the trail.......

#6 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12429 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:23 PM

Our council has 3 districts and 2 DE's that share the duties of all three districts.

#7 The Latin Scot

The Latin Scot

part Latino, part Scottish ... get it?

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:08 PM

Impossible ... how will the Emperor National maintain control without the bureaucracy? 

Edited by The Latin Scot, 28 July 2017 - 06:08 PM.

There is no such word as "Webelo." 

The only proper singular of Webelos Scouts is ... WEBELOS SCOUT!  

#8 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12429 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 06:13 PM

They lost control years back, they just haven't noticed it yet.

#9 Miami_Chief

Miami_Chief

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

Impossible ... how will the Emperor National maintain control without the bureaucracy? 

The regional governors now have direct control over their territories.

#10 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2928 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

I searched for Regional Governors and found none.  ???

#11 fred johnson

fred johnson

• Members
  • 1618 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

No FOS ??  ... I'll believe that when I see it.  Money drives everything.  

#12 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6313 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

I searched for Regional Governors and found none.  ???

Because Miami Chief was quoting "Star Wars."  Actually he was reacting to a previous "Star Wars" quote by The Latin Scot.

#13 TAHAWK

TAHAWK

• Members
  • 2928 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:18 PM

But governors under the First Empire were titled "Moff."   :rolleyes:

#14 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6313 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

But governors under the First Empire were titled "Moff."   :rolleyes:

Evidently they were referred to as both, because Miami Chief's quote was correct.  And now that you mention it, the quote coming from Grand Moff Tarkin is kind of strange, because he himself used the term "governors."

That's enough of this, I think.  :)

#15 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1627 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:28 PM

Evidently they were referred to as both, because Miami Chief's quote was correct.  And now that you mention it, the quote coming from Grand Moff Tarkin is kind of strange, because he himself used the term "governors."

That's enough of this, I think.   :)

Edited by Sentinel947, 29 August 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#16 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6313 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

I think we may be getting off the subject.  :)

#17 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1627 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:00 PM

I think we may be getting off the subject.   :)

Back on subject. The idea of one huge council wide district is absurd. Some Adult leader training is best done online. Youth Protection is fine. But without districts, do they really want to get the entire council together for IOLS? That sounds like a nightmare to me. 

#18 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6313 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

Back on subject. The idea of one huge council wide district is absurd. Some Adult leader training is best done online. Youth Protection is fine. But without districts, do they really want to get the entire council together for IOLS? That sounds like a nightmare to me. 

I can't imagine our council eliminating the districts.  I agree that it would be a nightmare.  My biggest personal part of the nightmare would be EBOR's.   Our district holds them in two different "central locations", one of which is not so central.  If there were one single "central location" for our council... well actually the way our council is shaped, some of the most "central" locations would be in another council.  And no matter where it is, it would be a long, long way for a lot of people.

#19 ParkMan

ParkMan

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 10:52 PM

My district is good sized - prob. 50 units. However, training and roundtable is a bust.

Online training has shrunk the size and quality of courses. Roundtable is below critical mass and no longer a good value. It's too bad.

I'd be ok with merging 2 or 3 district's together. But - the whole council- that's too big.

#20 SSScout

SSScout

• Members
  • 4054 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

"The work is done by whoever shows up." 

With the paucity of folks dedicated to the "old style" of Scouting, such amalgamations are/is inevitable.  By "old Style" (another discussion?)  I seem to be meaning hands on, face to face, get dirty in the woods, camp out , learn "the way of the elders"  ALONG WITH email, tweets, Power Point (death by), etc.

If the new PTB think that no one wants to do the "old style" stuff (no one shows up at District training sessions? or they can't find anyone who will teach "Sharp Wood Tools" at  IOLS , "they" will start to dom things "the modern way".   Virtual Wii Scouting? 

Frinstance,  I just met with a Scout dad (ex-Marine) who went to the Council office to pick up some official stuff and he comes back to report the Scoutshop no longer sells BSA hatchets.  Pocket knives, yes.  No big blades.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users