Upvotes and downvotes

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 MattR

MattR

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

Yea. Please don't downvote me anymore! My snowflake millenial heart may break..... =)

Then delete the post. I mean, you pissed everyone off. :)

#42 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5890 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:19 PM

• using "Report" to let a moderator know that you think a post violates the rules of the forum -- not when you disagree with someone's opinion, think there are factual errors, don't like their choice of nickname to your user name, etc...

I agree, but be fair, I think that's pretty much the case already. The vast majority of the flag reports we get are for (alleged) violations of forum rules, or other legitimate reasons. I cannot remember any reports that are simply about someone disagreeing with someone else, unless it reaches the point of an (alleged) personal attack, which is against the rules anyway.

• encouraging OPs to mark one reply to their topic as "solved", especially if they actually followed its advice and got a desirable outcome.

I agree with that one, I think only OP's should use the "solved" button. I don't know whether the forum software is capable of "enforcing" that.

#43 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11965 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:06 PM

Marking it solved means the horse is dead, leave it alone.  :)

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#44 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6385 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:32 PM

I agree, but be fair, I think that's pretty much the case already. The vast majority of the flag reports we get are for (alleged) violations of forum rules, or other legitimate reasons. I cannot remember any reports that are simply about someone disagreeing with someone else, unless it reaches the point of an (alleged) personal attack, which is against the rules anyway.

I agree with that one, I think only OP's should use the "solved" button. I don't know whether the forum software is capable of "enforcing" that.

It may not sound like it, but I'm kind of a status quo guy. It's a lot easier to ask folks to do what most seem to be doing anyway.

I think only OPs and mods have access to "solved" buttons. I've only seen them on threads that I started.

#45 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5890 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:38 AM

I think only OPs and mods have access to "solved" buttons. I've only seen them on threads that I started.

You may be right.  I have never marked a thread "solved".  I prefer to let threads reach their natural conclusion.  But if the usage is limited as you say, I think it's ok.  Maybe I assumed that since I have the "solved" button, everybody does.

#46 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11965 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

I would think that if a person wished to continue the thread beyond the original OP's solved comment, they could start a new one. This may help with some of the tangents we tend to get off on.

Stosh

There's a reason why I don't always answer the phone, doorbell or comments on forums.  :)

#47 DuctTape

DuctTape

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

I am not a big supporter of tangents; I usually prefer secants.

#48 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 5890 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:01 PM

I am not a big supporter of tangents; I usually prefer secants.

Ooh, a geometry joke.  You can't get that on just any old Internet forum.

#49 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2580 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

Plenty of circular arguments to go around.

Edited by RememberSchiff, 07 July 2017 - 03:11 PM.

#50 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11965 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

The closest distance between two points is a straight line... Yeah, right, not on this forum.

Stosh

#51 DuctTape

DuctTape

• Members
  • 551 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:01 PM

True. Most forums are just to plane. ;)

#52 MattR

MattR

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:34 PM

True. Most forums are just to plane. ;)

How does one plane on a forum? Is this like a wake board? Is that even in the GTSS? I think you should be down voted for suggesting dangerous activities.

#53 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 2580 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:44 PM

@MattR , I think you struck a chord.

#54 Stosh

Stosh

BSA Heretic

• Members
  • 11965 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:16 PM

I'll make note of that if you leave it a rest.

Stosh

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq