Upvotes and downvotes

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#21 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1627 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:37 PM

So I suppose as a moderator I don't care about downvotes. They don't have an autohide feature attached. I tend to use upvotes very liberally, and I don't think I've ever downvoted.

#22 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12443 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:28 AM

Up votes indicate the forum is producing a healthy forum for those posting valuable information to others. Down votes let everyone know that the forum isn't useful to the readers. I find the voting is a direct indicator of the value of the forum, not just the person making the comment. I would hate to think the ability to express free speech manipulated on a forum like this be affected in such a way.

#23 Back Pack

Back Pack

• Members
  • 691 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:09 AM

Expiriment complete. Thank you.
I want to see if there is a trigger at -5 like I think there is.
Positive +5 triggers a flair on a post.

So what did -11 get you?

#24 Stosh

Stosh

• Members
  • 12443 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

So what did -11 get you?

He's not a moderator anymore.  :)

#25 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

He's not a moderator anymore.  :)

He can't reply. ;)

#26 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1627 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

I have to work!!! There is no effect I can see from having negative votes. I got to -11 or -12.

#27 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:28 AM

I have to work!!! There is no effect I can see from having negative votes. I got to -11 or -12.

Moral of the story: Neg rep all you want...there's no consequences, just daily limits. ;)

(Which seems to go for + repping too. Go figure, limits to being nice and not nice. :D )

Edited by Col. Flagg, 06 July 2017 - 09:29 AM.

#28 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6313 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

I hit the green arrow in a relatively small number of cases.  I have never really thought about what my "standard" is, but I think that in order for me to hit the button, a post needs to not only say something I agree with, but say it in a particularly outstanding way - either in a very convincing or eloquent way, or it cites a source that is particularly persuasive, or it is a genuinely "new" argument, or something like that.  Also, on posts by my fellow moderators in which they take some "moderator action" or make a statement in their role as moderator (as opposed to posting on the subject matter of the thread), I will usually hit the green arrow to show my support for that action or statement.

I do not think I have ever hit the red arrow on purpose.  (I have clumsily hit it a few times by accident.)  That does not necessarily mean I will never use it, but I am not sure under what circumstances I would use it.  If a post is so "bad" that it does not belong in the forum, there are more effective ways of dealing with it, such as reporting it, or if one happens to be a moderator, dealing with it directly. As for spam, which someone mentioned, that problem has been almost completely eliminated (from the standpoint of non-moderators) since Terry turned on the feature of the software that requires moderator approval in order for the first post of any new account to actually appear in the forum. As a result, the (non-moderator) members of this forum have seen very very few, if any, spam posts in the almost two years since that feature was turned on.

#29 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

I thought this was appropriate... ;)

tumblr_mjxd77Lxg71rjlj53o1_400.gif

#30 CalicoPenn

CalicoPenn

• Members
  • 3175 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

I would just as soon get rid of the up and down arrows altogether - I've never paid attention to them and it doesn't add to the discussion.  Agree with me?  Tell me why.  Disagree with me?  Tell me why.  Don't like the direction a thread is going?  Tell us why.  Using the arrows is just a form of passive-aggressiveness that allows people to think they're participating when they really aren't.

#31 DadScouts

DadScouts

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:59 AM

Ok. -5 does not have an effect. Can I get a -10? After that we will have our answer and can discuss if the downvote is not an auto censor, what purpose do we give it?

I got you to -12.  You're welcome.  I think Red and Green are simple purpose:  Up means you like or find the post helpful and Down means you dislike or find it non-helpful and "Report" is asking someone to taken to the principal's office.

#32 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6313 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

I think Red and Green are simple purpose:  Up means you like or find the post helpful and Down means you dislike or find it non-helpful and "Report" is asking someone to taken to the principal's office.

Or several assistant principals, as the case may be. :)

#33 AltadenaCraig

AltadenaCraig

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

I think Red and Green are simple purpose:  Up means you like or find the post helpful and Down means you dislike or find it non-helpful and "Report" is asking someone to taken to the principal's office.

I follow a couple of other forums, both powered by another provider [simple machines forum - SMF].  The SMF follows the 'facebook' protocol:

- "Thumbs up" (Like) is the only voting option (no thumbs-down option and no "arrows" of any color)

- Similar to this forum, each post provides a "Report to Moderator" link (similar to our "Report").  I like the "Report to Moderator" terminology as it's a little clearer to me.

Perhaps I've become brainwashed by facebook and SMF, but as was pointed out by MattR yesterday, facebook (& SMF) allow only "thumbs-up" for good reason.  FWIW, that's my preference, too:  replace the arrows with a "thumbs-up" option and rename "report" as "report to moderator".  My $.02 -

- Craig

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep

but I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

—Robert Frost

#34 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6313 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

I strongly urge people to stop downvoting Sentinel's post. As he said, the experiment is over. I am concerned that at some number of downvotes, the "results" of the experiment may change, and I have no idea what will happen then.  Thanks to Sentinel for volunteering to be the "lab rat".

#35 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 3001 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

Meanwhile, Terry receives a notification on his Scouter app of a record high red arrow count.  Oh it must be... what, one of my moderators..!     :eek:

Edited by RememberSchiff, 06 July 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#36 NJCubScouter

NJCubScouter

• Moderators
  • 6313 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:32 PM

If there is a consensus (with a lot of people participating) on a specific proposal to change the forum features in some way (either on this subject or any other), the moderators will report it to Terry and see if (a) the change would be technically feasible and (b) whether he wants to do it. So far I am not seeing anything close to a consensus

#37 RememberSchiff

RememberSchiff

Your Friendly Neighborhood ModeratorMan

• Moderators
  • 3001 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

Another variation is allowing only the OP to vote on the helpfulness of responses. Might help keep responses on topic, maybe...

Edited by RememberSchiff, 06 July 2017 - 01:42 PM.

#38 Sentinel947

Sentinel947

• Moderators
  • 1627 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

Yea. Please don't downvote me anymore! My snowflake millenial heart may break..... =)

All joking aside. @NJCubScouter is right. If we can get some consensus around forum features Terry may adjust them.

#39 qwazse

qwazse

• Members
  • 6831 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:22 PM

I like the general notion of

• +/- 1 for strongly liking/disliking a particular reply. Being limited to so many a day helps a reader focus on the best/worst posts. Especially you should use this if you are a bit rushed, or if among a lot of replies in a thread, one resonates especially true/false.
  • no obligation, but if you have time, and can put it in words, explaining specifically what you liked/disliked.
  • using "Report" to let a moderator know that you think a post violates the rules of the forum -- not when you disagree with someone's opinion, think there are factual errors, don't like their choice of nickname to your user name, etc...
  • encouraging OPs to mark one reply to their topic as "solved", especially if they actually followed its advice and got a desirable outcome.

I think the icons are pretty good as-is.

#40 Col. Flagg

Col. Flagg

Robert E. Lee - Patriot

• Members
  • 1415 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

Yea. Please don't downvote me anymore! My snowflake millenial heart may break..... =)

All joking aside. @NJCubScouter is right. If we can get some consensus around forum features Terry may adjust them.

How about you put up the proposed plan for using the arrows. We can neg or pos rep the post based on our feelings. Highest number wins. ;)

Edited by Col. Flagg, 06 July 2017 - 03:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users